Austin area instructors: Q about doing an OW class in Aquarena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the logistics about doing an Open Water class in Aquarena.

I would really like to find a way to not be required to make the drive to Balmorhea again.

Just to introduce myself, I am one of the science divers (A4, 200+ hours) at the lake. First, you need to take the "diving for science" class they offer. It takes a weekend and I THINK that you will pay the normal rate of $230 per instructor/divemaster in the water. I seem to recall that the Aquarena center raised the instructor rate recently. I would assume that you should provide documentation regarding your certification and insurance.

Once that is all done, you need to contact the dive coordinator to set a date and the number of students. Aquarena's permit/regulations have a limit on the number of divers allowed in the training area at any one time (the last number I heard was 10), so you may not get your "perfect schedule" every time (especially in the winter). Be sure to bring your "authorization email", don't assume that they know you are coming. That should cover the stuff you need to get in advance of your class.

Once you get there, Check in with the PIC, exchange money, sign the dive logs, coordinate with the staff to get the time for your boat tour of the lake (a pain, but mandatory 45 minutes). Tell your students that you will be gearing up at the south end of the park on the concrete pad next to the "Landing". Bathrooms, picnic tables and changing areas are there. The tables adjacent to the training area are reserved for science divers now unless you have a really quick turn around for your dives. This is a relatively new arrangement and your students will have to walk about 100m each way. Bring all the tanks you will need for the weekend. They do have a compressor on site, but may not have someone to fill tanks for you.

If I were running the class, the first day would be a Aquarena and the second day at Lake Travis. The training area at Spring Lake is just deep enough for certification, but your students would be better served if they could go deeper than the minimum before you them pass.

Another option is the Comal River. Just south of San Marcos, but I don't know that pond.

Hope this helps! PM me for addresses you will need to get "the" answer.

The training area at Spring Lake is just deep enough for certification, but your students would be better served if they could go deeper than the minimum before you them pass.

I agree with the above statement. Spring Lake or the arena at Spring lake will offer you better vis and warmer water in the winter but because the depth is so shallow, I feel it is a disservice to students to do their entire check out there. Driftwood has a great suggestion, one day at Spring lake and one day at Lake Travis...

One day at spring lake and one day at Lake Travis is a good suggestion, depending on water temp. Later in the winter, its hard to convince students to get into 55 water. If you do split the training, do spring lake first. The better vis helps to put the students at ease.

yeah, you are right but I still think it does them a disservice to only dive in Spring lake. And, I don't give them a choice. I tell them we are spending one day at the lake...

Tom.... I think you should tell your students to suck-it-up and hit CSSP were they will get a chance to experience some chilly winter water diving, you don't want a bunch of wussy divers running around here in north Texas now do you? :eyebrow: :D :wink:

Another option is the Comal River. Just south of San Marcos, but I don't know that pond.

The Comal River is no place for class....

The Comal River is no place for class....

A friend from Houston got his open water is the Comal last winter because his instructor hadn't gone through the motions to get certified to dive in Spring Lake. I agree, not a good place for a class, but without other options better than freezing. How or where they did it I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom