Aurora, Plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddavies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We had someone a while back ask where the plane was at Aurora because they wanted to see if the plane could be seen from the air. I was skeptical, given how hard it is to see the plane when you are in the water and only a few feet away.

What prompted this post is that I was on Google maps looking for something near the lake. I got curious about the satellite view of the scuba area. Much to my surprise there is a white 'dot' in the water about where the plane is. Does that look like it is the plane to you or just a boat in the scuba area? If that is the plane, then I am very impressed because it is not always easy to see while underwater.

Satellite is good, but not that good. There is NO WAY that the vis is better because the camera is 50 miles in the air! :D

I have heard *rumors* that in early Spring, on a good day, when the wind does this, the bugs do that, and the visitors do the other thing that one can see the plane from the surface.

My experience after at LEAST a dozen dives over the plan is that one can not see it from 20' below the surface much less from 20 miles above! :eyebrow:

I think your experience Dan is similar as we have dove this many times together.

Whatever you are seeing on whatever you are looking at IMO is something else, or a digital enhancement.

MAsharkDiver:
Well, lets get some dedicated divers together and go find the thing!

Pete
pmarck@underwatereducation.org

Ron and I have dove the plane many times, which is why I was skeptical about seeing it from the air. When I saw the satellite picture and the white 'dot' my first response was that it must be something else. So far I have not heard any guesses as to what it might be if it is not the plane. On the other hand, no one has said they think it is the plane.

Hmmm,

My guess would be the white surface buoy attached to the cement block at the nose of the plane...

Looks like the buoy. Compare it to the size of the picnic tables. Way too small to be a boat or plane. It's smaller than the tables.

It's also not far enough from shore (my best guess) to be the buoy for the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom