August 2009 - Reports and Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I am clearly not with it enough to start this thread every week, so I am going to try it monthly. Post your reports, photos and videos for the month of August 2009 here ...

I was diving this morning with Michelle, Dannobee, Dave and Ron. The water was great, a balmy 52 degrees (perfect for my wetsuit) and viz seemed pretty good. The kelp stole my camera's diffuser, so my photos are limited, but I did take lots of video. I will have to post a better report a bit later. Until then - post away!

Can't see it now. At work, but will check it out later at home. Thanks for posting. Oh, and wetsuit diving at 52* is super brrrrrr and fun too :D

Did 2 dives at North Monastery with Kwest (Gills).
1st dive went to 100+', visibility was better than expected, (blury 30' at best even at depth). Saw a wolf eel (looked like a snake basking), which was quite a treat. Lot of Jellies. Some being eaten by anenomies and crabs. Lots of ling cods. Probably due to no fishing zone. Temprature was great for wetsuit.
2nd dive we spent most of our time around the wash rock (rare opportunity since it was calm) up to the lone metridium (not the Lobos one). We were in 15' to 40' depth . Vis was clear. Not much kelp there but the sun was shining directly on the colorful rocks. Reminds me of Vegas at night. The strawberry anenomies looked like little metridiums. Must have had lots to eat.
There it is, my first dive for August 09.

That was great... thanks for sharing.

Ha! Gills - thanks Mubin :D

That was the first time I've seen a wolf eel, so it was pretty cool it was just hanging out in the open like that. Two great dives.

(((kevin)))

I am going to continue using this thread. Hahaha. I might be the only one.

Tuesday 8/18 - 2 dives at the Breakwater, totaling just under 2 hours. First one along the wall and the second in the middle reef kelp. Both myself and my buddy were cold, although I was in a wetsuit and he was in a dry! Broke down and had to take a warm water shower afterwards, which was like a small slice of heaven.

Conditions were nice and calm as the swell was coming in from the west. We walked right in, really no wave action to speak of. Water was pretty good actually - estimating about 8-20 feet, depending. Better in the kelp, although there were areas where it was pretty bad. Critters were out in full force. Saw my first Okenia rosacea - which is like something out of a Japanese cartoon with its BRIGHT pink color. [-]Seal[/-] Otter was freediving under some rocks, crabs of various descriptions all over, even two mating. Baby fish and senoritas were also quite prevalent. Sea nettles appear to be dying off, and were saw quite a few being devoured by crabs and batstars.

Wonderful dives!

Unfortunately I can't upload anymore images - but the rest are here: August 2009 - Breakwater

Attachments

• IMG_9984.jpg
    IMG_9984.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
cool video.. i have only seen kelp in pictures/video but it looks pretty cool.. should make a trip across soon :D

Cool sea nettle picture. I like the lighting, very naturalistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom