Aug 8th MAG boat dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did two dives today. First dive was near Mono Lobo wall, near Moss Cove. Vis was 20 ish in the first 20 ft but opened up to 50+ under about 60 ft.

Second dive was near Outer Pinnacles. Vis was 5ish for the first 50 ft and "opened up" to 20 ish below that. There were a LOT of Sea Nettles out. I mean literally thousands on the dive. Everybody got stung on the face.

Dan,

When you say everyone got stung on the face by the Sea Nettles, does that include you?

Last edited:
The nettles have been bad this season. I don't recall ever hearing so many reports for so many weekends.

In my ~2 years of diving, this is the first time I've seen such an extended period of flat water during the summer months. My thought was that this is causing all the plankton/jelly explosions. I'm sure one of our many more seasoned long-timers here can say whether that's a correlation that holds water.

Our dive on Saturday and from hearing from others during the weekend suggest that the viz is starting to open up a bit...I'm really starting to wish for winter to come around :)

Yup, one sting on the lip, one on the lower cheek.

What do you do when you get stung? Did you call the dive? Was it bearable to finish the dive if you were just beginning?

How painful is it and what remedies do you apply to soothe the pain? I guess I'm asking the how to dive with Sea Nettles manual, good practices.

Thanks,

MG

What do you do when you get stung? Did you call the dive? Was it bearable to finish the dive if you were just beginning?

How painful is it and what remedies do you apply to soothe the pain? I guess I'm asking the how to dive with Sea Nettles manual, good practices.

Thanks,

MG

About as annoying as a heavy scratch. I don't even bother doing anything to it. Goes away in an hour or so.

These happened on the safety stops. Blowing massive bubbles in an attempt to clear them out did little to deter them.

About as annoying as a heavy scratch. I don't even bother doing anything to it. Goes away in an hour or so.

These happened on the safety stops. Blowing massive bubbles in an attempt to clear them out did little to deter them.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take that as a precaution on my next nettle encounter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom