ATX50 or TX50/DS4 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

put your hand on it and twist.......anti clock wise..... should come off

Meng_Tze:
put your hand on it and twist.......anti clock wise..... should come off

I tried that. It's not like a cap where i can get a grip on it. The face is really thin, sitting on top of the reg. Because it is brand new, i think it might be on it extra tight. I don't want to inadvertently brake it either.

It is tight when it comes from the factory. Maybe use a piece of rubber to get some traction/friction. You cant really break anything. The cover is screwed in, and its a precise fit.

tau:
I'm starting to replace my current setup to be DIR compliant in preparation for my fundies class. So far I have replaced my Sherwood BC with a Hammerhead scuba bp and oxycheq wings.

I would like to change my Reg setup next. I've decided on getting either the APEKS ATX50 setup or the TX50/DS4. It is stated that the only difference between the ATX50 first stage and the DS4 is the swivel turret.

My LDS carries the ATX50 setup but does not carry the TX50/DS4. Does the swivel turret make the ATX50 not DIR compliant? Can the swivel turret cause problems?

Where would I get a TX50/DS4? I live in Los Angeles, CA.

Since APEKS is owned by aqualung, does that mean that I won't get the warranty if I ordered it online?:11:
Hi,

Since this is in the DIR forum I feel obligated to state that I am not a DIR trained diver, but I do dive the long hose, and have for quite a while.

The internal parts for both the DST and DS4 first stages are the same so no big performance differences.

The DST does of course have the swivel turret while the DS4 does not.

The DST has one low pressure port in the 1/2 inch size while the rest are 3/8 inch for a total of 4 low pressure ports. The DS4 has 4 of the 3/8 inch ports. On the DST all of the low pressure ports are located around the swivel. On the DS4 two of the low pressure ports are in a fixed location on the left of the first stage while the other two ports are in a location that is not exactly symmetrical on the right side of the first stage.

The DST has 2 of the 7/16 inch high pressure ports while the DS4 has only 1 of the 7/16 inch high pressure ports.

Both of the first stages are environmentally sealed and available in DIN or Yoke.

The DST is somewhat larger.

The TX50 and ATX50 second stages share the same fundamental design.

The TX50 is larger, and has a larger diapragham. Some feel that the larger diaphragm offers some performance advantages while others feel there is no discernable difference. The TX50 is physically larger and some feel that due to its size is a less than ideal choice for your bungeed backup.

The TX50 has a larger exhaust tee than the ATX50. Some divers like the larger tee while others feel that is simply adds to the size problems mentioned above.

Any authorized Aqualung dealer should be able to special order any combination of the first and second stages you might desire.

I might suggest a DS4 first stage with a TX50 second stage as the primary on the long hose, and an ATX50 as the backup on a short hose. Others might suggest an ATX40 as the backup.

Mark Vlahos

StSomewhere:
...As far as the DST and the whole "swivel turret failure point" saga :rolleyes:, go look at all the allegedly "DIR" ScubaPro MK25 first stages with swivel turrets. :wink:....

Yeah a bit contradicting aint it! I always wondered about that as well. :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom