ATX100 or ATX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThierryA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm about to start a Divemaster course and planned buying an Apeks ATX50 regulator. It seems to gather pretty good reviews from people around here. I talked about this with my instructor and he tried to dissuade me saying that it is a rather old design and directed me towards the ATX100 (or ATX200). The difference in price is about a couple of hundred dollars here in Israel and I would rather not spend the difference. The instructor doesn't work or is in any way affiliated with the diveshop selling Apeks, he is actually selling Scubapro (above my budget in Israel). Any comments or suggestions?

ThierryA:
I'm about to start a Divemaster course and planned buying an Apeks ATX50 regulator. It seems to gather pretty good reviews from people around here. I talked about this with my instructor and he tried to dissuade me saying that it is a rather old design and directed me towards the ATX100 (or ATX200). The difference in price is about a couple of hundred dollars here in Israel and I would rather not spend the difference. The instructor doesn't work or is in any way affiliated with the diveshop selling Apeks, he is actually selling Scubapro (above my budget in Israel). Any comments or suggestions?

Both are excellent regulators. I have the ATX50 with the DS4 first stage. I love it in all kinds of conditions (even ice diving). The ATX100 is nice and has a few more features than the ATX50, but if cost is a concern then the ATX50 will suit you fine.

Duane

I love the ATX50 and DS4. I personally couldn't tell the difference when I borrowed an ATX200 from a friend. I think the difference is mostly in the 1st stage, but even at 160, I didn't notice any benefit. The DS4 is proven and will get my vote.

Performance wise there is very little difference ... they are all excellent regulators.

For hose routing, the ATX100 might be nice, but I don't see it being worth the extra money unless $$ aren't an issue. I dive an ATX50 with a DST first stage (the one that normally comes with the ATX50 package) on my singles rig and it routes quite nicely. I do dive a hogarthian configuration for singles ... so I cannot speak for how the hoses route with the standard configuration.

I dive DS4 first stages on my doubles. The only difference between the DS4 and the DST is that the latter has the LP ports mounted on a swivel (plus two HP ports instead of one). As a result, it's slightly longer in length than the DS4. Performance-wise, they are identical.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ThierryA:
Shalom ThierryA
I don't think that the ATX50 design is so much older than the ATX100. Older is not always worse though :wink:
I dove the older versions of it (TX50&TX100) and didn't notice any difference except for maybe a better hose routing in the TX100.
Personaly, I am a Mares man. how are the prices for Mares in Israel? They make great regs too.

ThierryA:
... planned buying an Apeks ATX50 regulator. It seems to gather pretty good reviews from people around here. I talked about this with my instructor and he tried to dissuade me saying that it is a rather old design and directed me towards the ATX100 (or ATX200).

I've been told that the re-build kits for all Apeks regs are the same.
There is just one kit. What this tells me is that the internal workings
must be the same. The second stanges actually _are_ the same.
I think the only difference between the 50/100/200 is with hose
routing. I just bought an ATX50, got two dives on it so far to 40 and
60 feet. I can say that the two controls on the 2nd really are
effective

I agree about the controls. I like the metal knob on the Apeks. On one of my older regs, it didn't seem to change anything when I dialed out the knob.

mempilot:
I agree about the controls. I like the metal knob on the Apeks. On one of my older regs, it didn't seem to change anything when I dialed out the knob.

Get the ATX50. I use the 100 and love it but I would have preferred the swivel on the first stage. Unfortunately I didn't have that option when I got mine. but then again it was a gift so I can't even complain about that.

ChrisA:
I've been told that the re-build kits for all Apeks regs are the same.
There is just one kit. What this tells me is that the internal workings
must be the same. The second stanges actually _are_ the same.
I think the only difference between the 50/100/200 is with hose
routing. I just bought an ATX50, got two dives on it so far to 40 and
60 feet. I can say that the two controls on the 2nd really are
effective

You are correct on all points. The second stages without the cracking effort adjustment knob simply substitute a "plug" that allows the tech to set the cracking effort to the correct setting. I have the TX50/DS4 and find it to be an excellent reg.

Greg
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom