Attractions from Tavernier to Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregor1234:
Where are Smuggler's Cove and Snapper's located?
Up in Tavernier or down the way to KW?

Smugglers cove mm85 bayside, snappers around 93-94 oceanside

TheRedHead:
It was stuff like that which caused my teens to wish they were in the Virgin Islands so they could snorkel from the beach. :wink:

Don't want to get in between what you and riguerin have going on ;-) but I was in Islamorada the begining of the month with my teenage daughter. She just loved it. She is a diver, likes to do things, and is a big time people watcher.

We did a day trip after morning diving and had to be back for next morning diving. So, nothing crazy. But, we walked around (Southern Most House area), caught the sunset , did a little shopping and had a bite. No crawl's, etc. But, we had a nice time and she was pretty entertained by it. We only had time to make a couple of short stops on the way down, so I would think a whole day with some snorkeling would be great.

She loved the Keys, the diving, and Key West and she was just hanging around with her ol' dad.

Orlando is for kids. South Beach is for young adults. The keys are for Krusties:D

scububa:
Don't want to get in between what you and riguerin have going on ;-) but I was in Islamorada the begining of the month with my teenage daughter. She just loved it. She is a diver, likes to do things, and is a big time people watcher.

We did a day trip after morning diving and had to be back for next morning diving. So, nothing crazy. But, we walked around (Southern Most House area), caught the sunset , did a little shopping and had a bite. No crawl's, etc. But, we had a nice time and she was pretty entertained by it. We only had time to make a couple of short stops on the way down, so I would think a whole day with some snorkeling would be great.

She loved the Keys, the diving, and Key West and she was just hanging around with her ol' dad.

if you are ever there again I suggest renting bikes and biking around the old town. Beautiful architecture and 100+ old trees, plus you can bike right to the ocean, it is nicer then just duval

scububa:
She is a diver, likes to do things, and is a big time people watcher.

My kids don't dive and they want to snorkel from shore with real beaches. They really love St. John, USVI and thought the Keys were boring. They're rather spoiled. :wink:

I like to stop for breakfast or lunch at the 7 Mile Grill, just this side of the 7 mile bridge in Marathon on the bay/gulf side of U.S. 1. I also like the No Name Pub on No Name Key (ask for directions from the traffic light on Big Pine Key), and Mangrove Mamas (~mm20 gulfside). Avoid leaving Key West on Sundays. Assume that everyone on the road in the Keys is drunk, and that you are invisible, and you'll probably survive.

In Key West, visit the Southernmost Point for a photo op, then duck into the nearby Butterfly Conservatory to cool off. This is IMO the best $10 attraction in Key West. If you like fresh fried fish and ice cold beer, ask a local how to find B.O.'s Fish Wagon. Following the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square, wander over to The Half Shell Raw Bar (they have cooked food too) or Turtle Kraals for dinner, or grab something cheap and greasy and check out the usually good and always free live music at the nearby Schooner Wharf Bar. Most importantly, WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES!

In Islamorada, I like to eat at the Islamorada Fish Company, and wander around the Worldwide Sportsman (Bass Pro Shop's salty sister store) next door. They have a restored replica of Hemingway's boat "Pilar" inside the store that shouldn't be missed.

Enjoy!

As Said Robbie's is a must do best two bucks spent in the Keys was a buck as I coined the phrase! The Tarpon feed and a cold beer Wow thats all you need to know,

Up the road= Islamorada Stop by the "Ocean View motel" & Pub owned by former Pro Football player Garry Dunn, meet some wacky locals and who knows who may be having a cold one next to you! real local flavor and gets nuts at night!
on your way thru Tavernier stop at "Craig's" for THE WORLDS BEST FISH SANDWICH! see the sign STOP its well worth it good=GREAT!
Do a fishing charter out of Islamorada not cheap but well Worth the half day trip!
If you do Key West its OK,Do the conch train,as you will get nailed for parking, after the tour see the shops and sites were you get droped off, hit Margarita villa,and get out of dodge! as to me Key West is just strange locals are nuts,tourist well you will see the Boi's= as we say It is what it is!
Mid Keys are way more fun,
Oh don't forget to dive!
Dive safe
Brad

Snappers in located abut MM 96. Hobos (was at 104 and is now moving to around 102) is a Key Largo tradition for Lunch and casual dinner.

Lazy Days is a super place about MM 82. Eet on the upper balcony - make reservations.

Key Largo coffee house at MM100 has great coffee and food (Tuesday is all you can eat Mexican) -- best of all they have free wi-fi ---- important for teens.

Before sundown at Mallory Square in Key West they have a lot of street performers.

There are Skate Park parks at the Tavernier Founders Park, a new one in Key Largo and I think one in Marathon -- note they do require full pads to ride.

TheRedHead:
My kids don't dive and they want to snorkel from shore with real beaches. They really love St. John, USVI and thought the Keys were boring. They're rather spoiled. :wink:

With two teenage daughters, I know where you are coming from...and I realize how incredibly fortunate I am that we all dive and that they are very competent divers. On the otherhand, it makes things a heck of lot more expensive ;-( The good news is that we both seem to be sensitive to what the kids like and don't like and are willing to balance things out so everyone gets some of what they want. That's a good thing, eh?

deeper thoughts:
if you are ever there again I suggest renting bikes and biking around the old town. Beautiful architecture and 100+ old trees, plus you can bike right to the ocean, it is nicer then just duval
Thanks for the tip. Since I like to bike as much as dive, that should be great. This has been a great thread and I will be printing it out for future reference. As they say, "It's not a question of if, but when!"

WOW- Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

I'm sure they'll make what was going to be a good trip into a great one!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom