Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can also be in how the advise/information is presented. I will take advice/suggestions if it makes sense for me. But when someone’s delivery starts out telling I am doing something wrong and in my face it doesn’t go well. I was on a live abroad and a young lady new to diving was on board. One of the other divers kept telling her how she was doing everything wrong. She was at the point she wanted to stop diving before I stepped in and told the other individual to back off. From that point on I was her dive partner. She did fine. I saw an improvement with both her diving and attitude, she was very happy by the end of the week.

I wonder if their name could possibly indicate or insinuate in any way that others are Doing It Wrong?

It can also be in how the advise/information is presented. I will take advice/suggestions if it makes sense for me. But when someone’s delivery starts out telling I am doing something wrong and in my face it doesn’t go well. I was on a live abroad and a young lady new to diving was on board. One of the other divers kept telling her how she was doing everything wrong. She was at the point she wanted to stop diving before I stepped in and told the other individual to back off. From that point on I was her dive partner. She did fine. I saw an improvement with both her diving and attitude, she was very happy by the end of the week.
Yeah there is definitely an aspect of tact that I may have been guilty of a couple of times. I would never go out and overwhelm a new diver with information like that.

The info offered is often provided as the only correct way. That gets tiresome, not to mention wrong.
Depends on the advice I’d say.

I think it’s important to distinguish between whether something is the only “correct” way and “better” ways to do things.

Presentation and tone do mean a lot. But it seems like the kneejerk reaction to any advise is to equivocate one’s good intent with some previous terrible experience with some overzealous GUE diver.

Just easy to categorize all of these divers as “bad” when you demonize them whenever they mean to help others.

Depends on the advice I’d say.

I think it’s important to distinguish between whether something is the only “correct” way and “better” ways to do things.

Presentation and tone do mean a lot. But it seems like the kneejerk reaction to any advise is to equivocate one’s good intent with some previous terrible experience with some overzealous GUE diver.

Just easy to categorize all of these divers as “bad” when you demonize them whenever they mean to help others.
LOL. Did you give some "advice" and somebody told you off?

It's like 2000 AD! Snobbery and inverse snobbery. What the hell, why not!?

DIR has a lot to offer, but so do other systems of diving. Take it or leave it. As with most things, the zealots tend to be the newly minted, take what you will from that. Since it's 2000 AD, what some advocates can't seem to understand is that other people may make a choice about kit or diving style that is "suboptimal" and be happy with that choice.

Returning to 2024. Dive kit should be viewed like sexual orientation. Don't question it unless you have been specifically asked for advice.

And yet even realising the skills they shall never attain, the crowd still admires the Navy Seal

Like all diving, there's lots of ways to "do it". Some ways are better than others (great core skills, longhose?), some is just dogma (spools not reels, bottom timers).

Alas it often comes over as The Way, The Truth and the Right.

It used to be a lot worse in the time of the DIR-wars. Thankfully most of the DIR-warriors have grown up and chilled out.

Perhaps during their quest to educate, to their ultimate disappointment they realised something

Back
Top Bottom