Attire in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, from Habitat.... nearby E'lanternu has picnic tables outside, tables inside and the Butterfly Garden is near Cas Abou. I've seen people dressed up and others with something over a bathing suit even in the evenings. Daniels is nearby (excellent pancakes of breakfast and lunch!). It's more of a dress up for dinner place but business casual will do. Anyplace for lunch, Dokterstuin, Jaanchies, Ranch Sobrino and here at Sol Food, shorts and tee shirts are the norm. At the Lodge Kura Hulanda again either dressy or business casual. We haven't eaten at the Villa Monte in Soto but I'm guessing tees as well.
There is a shirt, I'm drawing a blank on the name, that a lot of men wear here. It's sometimes made of linen, fairly long and not tucked in, has slits in the sides, has a few unbuttoned buttons like a polo shirt and looks cool, comfortable and stylish. Help me out here, clothes hounds. Not a lot of tie wearing going on in Banda Bou.

There is a shirt, I'm drawing a blank on the name, that a lot of men wear here. It's sometimes made of linen, fairly long and not tucked in, has slits in the sides, has a few unbuttoned buttons like a polo shirt and looks cool, comfortable and stylish. Help me out here, clothes hounds. Not a lot of tie wearing going on in Banda Bou.

It's a guayabera shirt.
Guayabera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

K.

Dive t-shirt and shorts is fine 24/7 at Habitat. The few times we went out for dinner, the most my fella wore was polo shirt and shorts, with sneaks. I wore pedal pushers, tank top and a light open blouse.

At Sunshines, I was in after dive clothes....which isn't the most elegant, but she didn't seem to mind. It's all we had with us since we spent the day in Westpunt having driven in from Habitat.

If we were to repeat Curacao, we'd rent a car for the week, stock up on groceries at the store outside Willemstad and spend the week in Westpunt at AllWest.

Joking aside, we don't go anyplace very fancy in Curacao, but even if we did, the most dressed up I would get would be docker-like pants and a short sleeve "button-up" shirt. I suppose if that wasn't sufficient someplace we would leave and find someplace else. I have worn that to Daniel's, the Kura Hulanda Lodge and to a couple restaurants in Willemstad without feeling out of place. I mostly wear the long pants because of mosquitoes.

At Sunshine's I am likely to wear board shorts and a tee shirt and there is a good chance the board shorts are still damp.

So far, what we have done is just what Lori said she would do next time. We stay at AllWest (and Sunshine's once, but we don't need the bigger size) and hit the market on our first day. We eat breakfast and about half our dinners in the apartment and most lunches and half our dinners out.

By the way, I checked a few months ago and no one answered. Has anyone had any experience at Rancho El Sobrino since it changed owners sometime early this year? It is in a convenient lunch location as we drive back and forth to dive sites and we stopped there for lunch a couple times last year and it was okay then. I have seen several "tour" type busses stopped there and I always consider that a bad sign.

So far, what we have done is just what Lori said she would do next time. We stay at AllWest (and Sunshine's once, but we don't need the bigger size) and hit the market on our first day. We eat breakfast and about half our dinners in the apartment and most lunches and half our dinners out.

This is essentially what we've done on our last two trips to Curacao. We like both the Boca St. Michael area as well as Westpunt. No need to go all the way to Willemstad for groceries, there's

Cost-U-Less,

Cost U Less > Stores > Curacao

Esperamo's,

Google Maps

and Centrum

centrum curacao - Google Maps

all close together in the Piscadera and Santa Maria area, where the road intersects the Weg naar Westpunt, coming from Hato airport to the other coast. Esperamo's and Cost U Less are across the street from each other, Centrum is at the intersection for traveling to Boca St. Michael.

By the way, I checked a few months ago and no one answered. Has anyone had any experience at Rancho El Sobrino since it changed owners sometime early this year? It is in a convenient lunch location as we drive back and forth to dive sites and we stopped there for lunch a couple times last year and it was okay then. I have seen several "tour" type busses stopped there and I always consider that a bad sign.

Here's our trip report. Rancho el Sobrino still has the best kabrito stoba IMO, and their homemade pica was adequate. We ate our first Westpunt dinner of our recent Curacao trip there on June 27, 2009 after a Vaersenbaai dive and checking out of our accomodations at Sun Reef Village, then checking in to our accomodations at All West.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/303421-june-20-july-4-2009-curacao-trip-report.html

We didn't see any tour buses there this trip, nor our prior trip. We did know some locals who had expressed concerns about Rancho el Sobrino changing during our 2007 Curacao trip, but we never found any realized concerns there on either trip. It's always been a friendly place where you can chat with other diners if you wish, or dine peacefully together as you wish - either way - in our trips to Curacao when we've dined there.

As far as attire goes, I like to combine one of these type shirts with Dockers slacks if we're going someplace extra special in Willemstad (or likewise on other islands or at home here in the Baton Rouge - New Orleans corridor if we're going someplace special 'in the city'). Otherwise, I'm likely to combine one of these type shirts with either shorts or jeans, with time of day, weather, and mosquitos are factors for deciding which.

Rum Reggae - Home

My wife buys these type shirts for me as gifts, in lieu of the neckties some other men get as gifts. It's usually a very somber event such as attending someone's funeral for me to actually don a necktie.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom