ATTENTION UK DIVERS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know if you are already aware but the UK government has started a new initiative to encourage life long learning called the 'Individual Learning Programme'. You can register for FREE and it pays part of your ongoing learning costs and GUESS WHAT? PADI professional courses have just been approved!!!

If you fancy doing your DiveMaster, Assistant Instructor etc, you can now get the government to pay some of your fees PROVIDING:

1. YOU are registered (click HERE) to register

2. Your PADI instructor also registers (again free!! See above URL)

The first 1 million ILA accounts opened give you £150 off your course!! That makes my DM course reduce from £365 to £215!!

GET REGISTERED NOW!!!

Thanks HU,

Have just requested an info pack. Maybe I can get a few quid of the IDC Staff Instructor, and save my strudents money. Winner.

I get my course for free.....do you think they'd still pay for it lol !!! x

If HU is correct, it would seem that ScubaBaby's instructor could charge GBP150, all of which would be paid by Tony Blair. Think of it as a tax rebate...

I am still to much of a baby to apply...how unfair is that !

Dont like being a baby anymore <sniff> ;-0

Do we have to be resident in the UK? I can't seem to find this anywhere on the site. Both my dive instructor and myself are British citizens... *sigh* This is pure wishful thinking... I'm sure it's not possible. :(

On the application form you have to confirm that you are:

1. A British Citizen
2. Resident in the UK for tax purposes.

Also, the money is not paid to you, it is paid to your training organisation / instructor who must also be as above.

Oh well, good thing my instructor is my cousin and only charges me cost price then! (Good for me - not for her as she could have got the full price if it did apply outside the UK!)

I'm glad to see the British government is offering this initiative though.

Hey neat, money off Tony baby to learn diving. I wonder if I can apply for another to knock a couple of strokes off my handicap.

Nice spot Jay

Education and Skills Secretary, Estelle Morris, announced yesterday that the Individual Learning Account (ILA) programme is to be suspended from December 7 in England.
The government has said this is due to the large numbers of frauds by unscrupulous training providers (having worked in the field of education consulting for many years with experts in FE and Training Schemes, I am aware that some of the frauds are incredible). It is believed by those in the know that the ILAs will either be replaced or resurrected in some form but as to when, in what format, eligibility requirement and types of courses covered, nobody is certain at the moment.
If you were trying to get on a dive course with the ILA, it may be worth seeing if you still can. According to the ILA homepage, "The scheme is now closed to applications for new accounts, but learning begun by existing account holders will continue to be supported provided it is booked with the ILA Centre by 7 December."

More info on: http://www.my-ila.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom