Attachment of hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, The tech that works on my regs told me not to lube the o-rings where the hose is screwed into the reg, that only o-rings that move get lubed.

Might be different for other brands. This was on an Atomic.

Terry

brianstclair:
Don't want to hijack this thread, but... they don't? Then what gets lubed? I've been very lightly lubing those o-rings each time I swap hoses.

Brian

If the book that came with your reg says to lube it, feel free.

Terry

TXaggie_diver:
Again, everything I had planned to do came from the owner's manual. It recommends putting on Christo-lube or silicone grease (in nitrox will not be used). Wouldn't it be a good idea to lube the o-rings so they don't dry out?

MarcG:
I agree with everything you say except this. You do not need elaborate equpiment to perform basic servicing of your own regulator. Basic tools and an IP gage can go a long way. I have however seen fancy test fixtures that are pretty pricey. For someone who is interested in basic servicing I recommend the following links:

A good place for tools
http://www.scubatools.com/

A good good on the basics of regulators
http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html

I want to note that I do not necessarily endorse servicing your own regulators, however, I believe that basic knowledge is a good thing. This isn't black magic.

Yes. The gospel by Oxyhacker is on my nightstand. I counted that $50 against basic knowledge. This is very useful even if you never remove the cover on your reg.

Scubatools provided picks (nice little set), bullet tool, Mk20 tool, and 2oz christolube to the tune of about $50. I made my pin stanner and a yoke nut socket and a few other specialty gadgets. An LP connector adapter turned a compression gauge into an IP gauge. The sink is my 2nd stage cracking pressure gauge. Simple screwdriver and trial and error is my 2nd stage adjusting tool. Torque wrenches (1/4 and 3/8 drive) were in my auto tool box.

Spend enough time surfing the net and lots of other documentation can be found.

awap:
While I'm sure a tech could easily spend that much and more, the DIYer can do the job for a lot less, especially if you are already doing your cars and such. $8 is a very good price but we are talking something that should take less than 15 minutes and no disassembly required unless IP (on some designs) or cracking pressure needs to be adjusted. LDS tweeking of a reg is a nice service but clearly in the same category as dealer prep on a car. They should come from the factory ready to dive unless you receive one with a defect. May occur, but very infrequently.

I'm a DIY kind of guy, though I try to temper that approach with a little hard-nosed accounting. If you're going to work on your own regulator, there are some tools that you must have, some tools that you should have and some tools that you can do without. Serious DIY types will find many of these tools already on their bench but some of them are so arcane that you will almost certainly have to buy or fabricate them. You may have been able to limit your expenses to work on your regulators to $100 or so but only because you already had several tools and parts and were willing to invest quite a bit of time in manufacturing what you were missing. Spending $100 and tens of hours building tools and learning how to get the job done instead of spending $75 to have the work done by someone who is (presumably) trained only seems like a good idea if you're a hard-core DIY type.

$8 for 15 minutes of work comes out to $32 per hour - not a bad living and most dive shop monkeys would kill for that kind of a paycheck. Then again, although the bench time shouldn't be any more than 15 minutes (unless there is a serious problem) that $8 has to pay for somebody to process the paperwork, for the building and lights and cash registers, for the tools and that little bottle of Christo-Lube, etc. Around Chicago, if the tech ends up keeping $2 or $3 of that $8, he's doing pretty good. I'm not comfortable with the idea of the guy that works on my regulator barely makes $20G per year - who would take that job?

I agree that buyers shouldn't be paying for dealer prep - unless you didn't buy the car (or the regulator) from the dealer that you want to provide the service. The regulator was cheap, at least in part, because the dealer it was purchased from didn't do the work. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done, nor does it mean that a competing dealer should do the work for free. As to the frequency that a new regulator needs some tweaking, "very infrequently" is a subjective term. I think it's nearly 10% of new regulators, based upon my experience. Whether or not that constitutes "frequently" or "very infrequently" I suspect is determined by whether or not your regulator is one of the one-in-ten that needs work. :wink:

Small container (1/4 oz) of O2 compatible lube should run about $10. You don't need the whole tube or syringe for the occasional o-ring replacement.

To the best of my knowledge, Christo-Lube only comes in 1 pound, 4 ounce and 2 ounce containers. Whether you're buying the 111 or the 129, I've never seen it in 1/2 oz packs nor have I ever seen it at anywhere near $10. There are other O2 compatible lubes out there but, to the best of my knowledge, the only one universally recognized as acceptable by the manufacturers is Christo-Lube. Tell us who is selling 1/2 oz of Christo-Lube for $10 and a lot of folks will beat a trail to their door.

Paying more doesn't necessarily mean you get more. Especially with Scuba.
True enough but paying less almost always means your regulator comes with a "some assembly required" note and no warranty. I've got over a dozen regulators and have purchased most of them from back-channel sources - so I'm not opposed to the idea. The old rule of thumb about faster/better/cheaper is that you can't have more than two of the three. In the long-run, working on your own gear is usually faster and can be better but it's almost never cheaper if you count all the costs associated with doing it yourself.

p.s. The Peterbuilt pick set is...less than optimal. They're too big and too stiff. As long as you're a DIY kind of guy, the next time you're at the dentist, ask him if he has any retired picks that he'd like to get rid of. Find the softest, most slender and most convoluted pick and buy it from him, then take a dremel to the point and round it off. You may have to experiment a couple of times but I think you'll find the end result is far more sensitive and less likely to scratch any of the surfaces.

Allright everyone,

I have decided that the first LDS is putting punitive charges in effect. I called yet another LDS minutes ago, that is a bit further away, and is an authorized oceanic dealer. They were a bit more polite about things. For a check on everything, IP, cracking pressure, corrosion (which its new, that would be a surprise if they found any), and attachment of the hoses, about $40. And not having a warranty is not a big deal. I like that price and what comes with it. Its the standard annual service fee, minus parts. Since mine is new, parts will be unlikely. I will probably go with these guys. The drive is a bit further, but it sounds like I can expect a friendlier staff at a reasonable price.

reefraff:
To the best of my knowledge, Christo-Lube only comes in 1 pound, 4 ounce and 2 ounce containers. Whether you're buying the 111 or the 129, I've never seen it in 1/2 oz packs nor have I ever seen it at anywhere near $10. There are other O2 compatible lubes out there but, to the best of my knowledge, the only one universally recognized as acceptable by the manufacturers is Christo-Lube. Tell us who is selling 1/2 oz of Christo-Lube for $10 and a lot of folks will beat a trail to their door.

http://www.reefscuba.com/o_rings.htm 1/2 & 1/4 oz

And they have lots of other goodies so the total bill may still be high.

TXaggie_diver:
The torque wrench idea comes from the owner's manual, which specifies tightening the fittings to a torque of 40 in-lbs, which I realize is not very tight. Yes, I am relatively new to diving, but I dove once a week all last semester and am in a scuba club, so I have been around the equipment. Yes, I also realize that "plain old silicone" is not the way to go, but there are silicone lubricants suitable no? I don't plan on using Nitrox anytime in the near future. I appreciate the suggestion to consult an experienced friend, I may do that next week when I get back to school. But I am a college student, and I consider myself relatively competent at lubricating an o-ring and tightening a fitting, so please understand that I have a hard time reconciling $75 in my mind for someone else to do it (especially when I am almost perpetually broke as is). I understand your experience is far greater than mine, and you are concerned for my safety, as am I. But with your experience, is $75 a reasonable price for such a simple procedure? (I will shop around more, before I do anything, BTW)

Thanks

You don't need the torque wrench. You also don't need the christo lube. The grease that you can buy at the dive shop is fine. It is more just for keeping the oring from drying out and helping with minor imperfections in the oring. That grease is good ($2-4 little tub) for Nitrox up to 40%. You only need the Christolube if your are going to environmentally seal your reg but not for the orings. It costs too much just to throw it around for all your orings.

Come on~~~ Torque wrench? So, you guys are always using the torque wrench for the hose mouting? The simple Scuba Tool or any wrenches from hardware store are more than enough.... Please post the LDS name in TX. You know, such kind of idiot LDS ruins this sports... It is a really BS shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom