Attachment of hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeeeez! Do not visit that shop any more! They're just setting an example to state how stupid it is not to buy the gear from them... -And that way proves just the opposite.

I regularly swap hoses back and forth on my regs, since I shift between doubles and a single rig, and I don't have separate sets of regs. There's nothing to it. It takes two minutes! Although I'm a hp-tech by profession myself I think more divers should be able to do such a basic thing as to change or tighten their regulator hoses themselves. No special tools needed. I'd use even a shift wrench if nobody's watching. (I sell tools also! Shift wrenches are usually banned by pro's...)

Really! I've seen people who've almost started crying in the boat 'cause their regs were "broken", and they thought they'd miss their dive!

The shop would likely also test them and it works out to $25 per stage. That is what my LDS charges for service.

Joe

Sideband:
The shop would likely also test them and it works out to $25 per stage. That is what my LDS charges for service.

Joe

Test what again? He's asked them to mount them darn hoses, not have a service check on his brand new regs.

Do it yourself , i swap stuff around at the dive site , nice and easy , and it only takes seconds. Also find a new LDS , $75 for 5 minutes worth of work , they can get BENT

When my shop put my new second stage on, they tested the IP and adjusted the cracking pressure on the second stage. Took about ten minutes altogether, because my IP was a bit high. They charged me nothing, but of course, I had bought the regulator at that shop.

$75 is a punative charge. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon. It is a quite easy DIY job. I've used a torque wrench just to verify the "feel" but you will rarely see it used for that purpose by any tech. Scubapro spec is 80 in-lb. Same goal as Oceanic and others - finger tight will make the seal then just a bit more so it does not come loose. I'm talking about 1/4 turn or less with a new o-ring. Used o-rings that have taken a set may hit spec in 1/8 turn. Christolub is what needs to be used with high O2 gasses. Silicone will work with air. If you will be diving nitrox and can't get christolub, it will work OK dry.

A good shop should charge about $25 including leak check and verification of IP and cracking pressure (1st & 2nd stage performance). A great shop might do it for free to entice your return business.

A shop that wants $75 for that is a good place to try a mask or wetsuit on for size before you order it online. Of course, you have some ethics so you might ask if they will compete with the online price before you order online. But that could get you blackballed so maybe you don't even want to give them a chance.

awap:
$75 is a punative charge. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon. It is a quite easy DIY job. I've used a torque wrench just to verify the "feel" but you will rarely see it used for that purpose by any tech. Scubapro spec is 80 in-lb. Same goal as Oceanic and others - finger tight will make the seal then just a bit more so it does not come loose. I'm talking about 1/4 turn or less with a new o-ring. Used o-rings that have taken a set may hit spec in 1/8 turn. Christolub is what needs to be used with high O2 gasses. Silicone will work with air. If you will be diving nitrox and can't get christolub, it will work OK dry.

A good shop should charge about $25 including leak check and verification of IP and cracking pressure (1st & 2nd stage performance). A great shop might do it for free to entice your return business.

There you have it! :thumb:

Anyone who would pay a LDS $75 to screw in a few hoses has way too much money.

$75 for swapping a hose has too many customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom