attaching spool to SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know that I have seen a post showing pictures on how to tie the knot for the loop at the end of the spool, but I cannot find it. I thought that it would be old enough that it would still be in here but maybe it was lost... Or maybe I just cannot find it.

Anyway can someone tell me what knot is best to use for tying that loop? If you have any pics that would be great too...

Thanks
Phil

I can take pics later if needed, but basically I tie two knots in my spool.

first knot is a bowline with an about 18" to 22" long loop. This allows you to wrap the spool around a column/post/opening and put the spool through the loop on a wreck if you're using it for running a line on a wreck, etc. (You'd put the spool through its loop as an anchor point. that way you don't have to tie it on the wreck and have to untie the line later).

The second knot is an overhand knot at the end of this other loop. This creates an about 1" to 2" loop at the end. You can use this smaller loop to attach a clip or double-ender to. most finger spools come with double enders, so that works good.

that help?

Thanks Mike...

I found how to tie the bowline knot on www.animatedknots.com

I appreciate the help...

Phil

My spool came with a nice loop pre-tied :)

Just FYI....for those of you guys/gals new to a finger spool or reels....if you do purchase one,,,please ensure you un-reel the line to get an idea of the length and that it matches that of the advertised length...but more importantly to check the end of the line and make sure its knot is tight!!

My spool came with a loop in it as well, all though it was not very big. I had already tied a new knot in it with the bigger loop I was just thinking about showing one of my buddies the knot so he could make his loop bigger and could not remember how to tie it. The funny thing is that after looking at the knot at www.animatedknots.com I realized that I use that knot all the time when I am on my dads boat to loop through deck cleats. I guess when I saw the knot in the pics in the previous post I was just looking at it step by step and following it and really did not put it together that I have used that knot before. After I looked at the knot this afternoon I felt a little silly...

Thanks for the help...

Phil

I made my spool with a stainless steel 35mm film development tank reel. 25 cents each on eBay. Good for 25 feet of cordage as it has no crank, strictly a manual thing- more of a "finger spool"- what most folks could/should use on a SMB for recreational use.

Here's a brand new one:
http://www.adorama.com/DKR35.html

Recycle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom