attaching spare lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homo maris:
Forgive me for the simplistic question but is it DIR to use a thin "breakable" zip tie to attach your backup light to the SS clip?

Would it then be DIR/not DIR to attach your SPG to the SS clip with a thin "breakable" zip tie?

Thanks,
JL
It's not DIR, but I do it anyway because it's so much more convenient.

homo maris:
Forgive me for the simplistic question but is it DIR to use a thin "breakable" zip tie to attach your backup light to the SS clip?

Would it then be DIR/not DIR to attach your SPG to the SS clip with a thin "breakable" zip tie?

It is not DIR and I never do it because it is very unconvenient that zip ties allways seem to brake at the moment you need it cannot use it.

Tying things toghether with cave line might be 2 minutes more work, but when done properly (knots burned or glued) it will never come loose, but can be cut loose when it needs to be.

Ask yourself the following question: would there ever be a situation when you'll need to break away you backup light and you do not have the time to cut it?

If the answer is no, why would you ever want a breakable zip tie? because it saves 2 minutes?

Reinoud:
It is not DIR and I never do it because it is very unconvenient that zip ties allways seem to brake at the moment you need it cannot use it.

Tying things toghether with cave line might be 2 minutes more work, but when done properly (knots burned or glued) it will never come loose, but can be cut loose when it needs to be.

Ask yourself the following question: would there ever be a situation when you'll need to break away you backup light and you do not have the time to cut it?

If the answer is no, why would you ever want a breakable zip tie? because it saves 2 minutes?

Spot on! Line is the only way to go.

Reinoud:

By "breakable" I meant it could be cut not ripped.
Jarrod Jablonski said to "never put these breakaways [3/4" tank o-ring] on equipment you can't afford to break free such as reserve lights."

I thought the advantage of a zip tie (UV treated so it does not break as often) would be that it can be repaired under water once cut by carrying a few spare zip ties.

But hey, if it's not DIR, it's not. I'll get myself some cave line.

Thanks,
JL

Doc Intrepid:
You are so going to die... :D
I did laugh out loud when I read this.

Rick Inman:
My 3rd light is just one of those UK Mini Q40's, and I don't even have it clipped. Just use the bicycle tube keeper to hold it to the webbing under my left shoulder D ring.

Rick,

Any particular size of bike tire inner tube? I also have the UK Q40 and want to do the same thing, at least until I can afford TWO Scouts.

mweitz:
Yeah, they do come apart. I've had a couple bolt snaps come off, and have seen them come off on a few other divers. You should redo them when they start to look ratty.

I thought that this forum was for DIR answers only Rick?

From here:

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

Two back-up lights are attached to each of the two chest D-rings, one light per side. Each is held to the strap by an elastic band. This puts them beneath a diver's shoulders, where they are completely accessible but out of the way. Divers can always reach these lights and turn them on without unclipping them from their D-rings. Turning on a back-up light before unclipping it is very important; divers could easily drop their back-up light while trying to get it unclipped before turning it on.

Mark

Both my buddy and I have had the one on our SPG come off too (although we certainly aren't the worlds most experienced cave-knot tiers)

However, most stuff that's tied this way isnt going to get "lost" if the knot comes undone (primary reg, SPG etc)

Backup lights *could* become lost (one reason to carry 2 :) but I usually rig it so there's not much force directly on the knot when I attach the light to my harness.

My biggest concern is video camera, and I dont have a perfect solution for that yet.

OE2X:
Also add a couple of of 1-2" wide pieces of bicycle innertube on your webing. These are to be used as keepers for the light.
I use bungee instead. As shown in the attachment below. It stays in place and doesn't slide down the harness after deploying the light. Also makes it possible to stow the lights again with dry gloves on.

GP:
I use bungee instead. As shown in the attachment below. It stays in place and doesn't slide down the harness after deploying the light. Also makes it possible to stow the lights again with dry gloves on.
Is see no problem in stowing backup light again with dry gloves when inner tube is used. Drilling holes in harness doesn't seem like optimal solution.

limeyx:
Both my buddy and I have had the one on our SPG come off too (although we certainly aren't the worlds most experienced cave-knot tiers)
After melting free ends of cave line put a drop of super glue into the knot. It will never come off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom