attaching hoses, can I do this or LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i give all my loving and my money to the cave-country shops. they know how to earn it (i even go out of my way to split my business as evenly as i can with them)

Yep, I make the rounds too. Because you can't buy gear from just ONE shop! Each has a different flavor, and a different feel. I like all 3.

H2Andy:
dude... *i* can change my hoses (please read the earlier parts of the thread)

Then I really don't understand what the fuss is all about. Or are you guys just talking in generalities. If so, then I bet you have a long list of things an LDS should give you ... for free.

H2Andy:
after that, you're just getting cute and recouping your money selling me something i don't need (i change my hoses with a cheap spanner wrench ... never had a problem with overtigthening after asking about it on ScubaBoard -- free advise,
don't you know)

i will eventually figure this out, and there you go on my crap list

Well this just goes to show that 'you can't please all the people all the time'.

I wasn't getting "cute" at all. What I described above is my idea of a good LDS. All of those things that I mentioned... scuba tool, a comfortable mouth piece, and a reg bag... are things that I, as a diver, consider good things to have. If you want to carry a set of Allen wrenches and two or three spanner wrenches or a crescent, then by all means, pack 'em in your bag. I prefer a scubatool... it's sorta like a swiss army knife... everyone should have one. Same with a decent mouth piece. Often the ones that come with the reg are crap. Lot's of divers - myself included - prefer a comfobite. And a reg bag? I always use one... so do most of my friends. If you are gonna pack around a nice reg then something to protect it is a pretty good thing to have. I never travel without at least one and usually two. I feel a good LDS has the reponsibility to put me onto some of these need-to-have things before I leave the store. In fact, I'd be ticked if they didn't and I realized later that I needed something that they hadn't suggested.

I have no idea what you are talking about in the last part of your post, Andy. But I'm wondering... can I come over to your office and have you write me up a LLC real quick... for free, I mean. I know it will only take you a few minutes. And I'll be really happy and maybe give you some real business in the future. And I'll be sure to tell my friends what a great guy you are. What's that? It's not the same? Sure seems the same to me. Oh... maybe my expectations are unreasonable... but perhaps yours are, too.

I don't mean to be picking on you specifically, Andy. You just happened to be in the line of fire. :D

Stephen Ash:
Then I really don't understand what the fuss is all about.

no, you don't

:wink:

lol

hey, at least we're being mature about it

H2Andy:
wake up, guys. getting sulky and bit***ng at your customers ain't going to solve your problem. if anything, it's making it worse.
Why is it you are against someone trying to make a buck?

I agree that a shop shouldn't charge for putting hoses on your gear, but I think you are asking too much to expect them to do that for free. If they offer, then great... otherwise, you are getting what you paid for. Customer service goes both ways...

I find it funny that people are so willing to browse at a shop asking questions, comparing and if they ask nice maybe try out that new reg at the LDS pool. But hey, you can buy that new reg off the "grey market" website. Now this person wants the same shop (that maybe put in a lot of time to get that sale), to put together their reg. Why shouldn't they charge some form of compensation. The last time that I knew rent, electricity, in-store stock (so people can try out that new piece of gear) and sometimes shop monkeys don't come free. The last time I knew, a LDS doesn't make money filling tanks. Are you willing to get on-line air fills?

fishb0y:
Why is it you are against someone trying to make a buck?

oh, no no... on the contrary ... i am quite the capitalist

in fact, i am hoping to tell the LDS's how to make MORE money by being forward-thinking ... and catering to their customers better

because i'd benefit too, you see ... if i had a great local dive shop, i'd go there
instead of shopping on line or having to drive two hours out of my way

i definetely support great dive shops .... they just happen to be about 2 hours away from me ...

fishb0y:
Are you willing to get on-line air fills?

it's funny... you guys have been saying this since LeisurePro opened its doors
six years ago, and I *still* have never had to get an airfill online.

:wink:

i have saved a bundle on gear, though...

It's an odd thing, the thought processes that go on about things in the scuba community. How many of you think your local mechanic should - for free - install the upper radiator hose you just bought at Auto-Zone for you? Huh? After all, it only takes about one minute, and he's dirty already, and has the tools right there handy... I mean, you could do it yourself, but it's so simple and so quidk he oughta do it 'cause it'd be good advertising and hey, you'll think he's got great customer service...
Right.
Rick

different business model

which is what LDS guys don't seem to comprehend (they don't sell their time;
they don't charge customers hourly fees)

now, let's approximate the example a bit better.

you go to the mechanic and want to glue a new rearview mirror, and you have
the mirror and the glue, but are not sure how to do it.

he does it for you (takes about two minutes) and charges nothing ...

how likely are you to return to that shop?

am i suggesting a dive shop do maintanence on a regulator for free? no.

am i suggesting they take two minutes to do something that costs them nothing
in order to build client goodwill?

yes

the smart ones are already doing it, and getting my money

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom