Attaching dive knife to BCD?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies folks!!! This knife, The ScubaPro White Tip looks like one that was purpose designed to mount on grommets in a BCD. It would work, but unfortunately that is not the knife I own....maybe I need to start looking for a knife that specifically mounts with grommets. One would think that if a company produces one BCD and it has grommets....and this same company produces just one dive knife, that the two would/should be compatible, but I guess not. Thanks again folks.

How about letting us know what BCDs you own (make and model), and what knife you own as well. Some pictures might be helpful.

You made a vague reference to owning a scubapro and a zeagle BC. Your OP mentions you want to know how to attach a knife to the grommets on these BCs, this post indicates that you don't have a knive that has a grommet mountable sheath and you seem to be blaming the manufacturers of the BCs that you did not buy the correct accessories for their product.....what am I missing here other than more info on the products you do have?

-Z

Last edited:
Only the Scubapro Mako Knives mount to the pocket grommets on the Scubapro BCD’s. The knives come with the nuts, bolts and grommet plates! The sheath has two holes that line up with the holes on the BCD.

How about letting us know what BCDs you own (make and model), and what knife you own as well. Some pictures might be helpful.

You made a vague reference to owning a scubapro and a zeagle BC. Your OP mentions you want to know how to attach a knife to the grommets on these BCs, this post indicates that you don't have a knive that has a grommet mountable sheath and you seem to be blaming the manufacturers of the BCs that you did not buy the correct accessories for their product.....what am I missing here other than more info on the products you do have?

-Z

Thanks for trying to help, but you are wrong sir. First off, I never mentioned Zeagle. I am not sure where you are coming up with that. "Blaming the manufacturers" because I "did not buy the correct accessories"??? I am not sure what you are missing, but you are missing something to dream all this up. Just so you understand, and for the record I own an Atomic BC1. Currently Atomic only makes one BCD...this one is it. I also bought their current manufacture dive knife and again Atomic only makes the one dive knife.
About the only thing you managed to get correct is that this dive knife does not have a grommet mounted sheath. Which brings us to my main question...if someone is going to manufacture one BCD why would they have grommets in it to mount a knife and then do not manufacture a way to mount the only dive knife they produce?? Atomic does not produce {at least not that I can find} any type of mounting kit or parts to make this happen. If Atomic does then they do not have any reference of it on their website that I can find and it's a pretty simple website.
I guess stranger things have happened. I did do a search on this forum and the only thing I could find was a post several years old asking almost the same question and it got no {as in zero} replies. Not much help. I very much appreciate anyone that is trying to help me, but if you are going to make things up, twist things around and make accusatory statements then I will thank you to kindly please do not bother with any future posts from me.

Sounds like that hydros thing would work. I just want to validate your frustration @msinc , it is a drag when things aren’t designed sensibly... but that is why we DIY and tinker so much here! To make it fit us, or make it work better! There is a lot of help here with that!

Thanks for trying to help, but you are wrong sir. First off, I never mentioned Zeagle. I am not sure where you are coming up with that. "Blaming the manufacturers" because I "did not buy the correct accessories"??? I am not sure what you are missing, but you are missing something to dream all this up. Just so you understand, and for the record I own an Atomic BC1. Currently Atomic only makes one BCD...this one is it. I also bought their current manufacture dive knife and again Atomic only makes the one dive knife.
About the only thing you managed to get correct is that this dive knife does not have a grommet mounted sheath. Which brings us to my main question...if someone is going to manufacture one BCD why would they have grommets in it to mount a knife and then do not manufacture a way to mount the only dive knife they produce?? Atomic does not produce {at least not that I can find} any type of mounting kit or parts to make this happen. If Atomic does then they do not have any reference of it on their website that I can find and it's a pretty simple website.
I guess stranger things have happened. I did do a search on this forum and the only thing I could find was a post several years old asking almost the same question and it got no {as in zero} replies. Not much help. I very much appreciate anyone that is trying to help me, but if you are going to make things up, twist things around and make accusatory statements then I will thank you to kindly please do not bother with any future posts from me.

my apologies. I had zeagle on my brain and typed that when indeed you referenced atomic. The point was that it would have been helpful to include the make model info in your first post.

-z

Sounds like that hydros thing would work. I just want to validate your frustration @msinc , it is a drag when things aren’t designed sensibly... but that is why we DIY and tinker so much here! To make it fit us, or make it work better! There is a lot of help here with that!

Thank you sir, "DIY and tinker" solved the problem, at least I think it did. I actually set it up in my travel BCD {a ScubaPro Go} using para-cord. I used one end to attach the retractor I use for my computer, then went thru the forward grommet and knotted the cord on the inside of the pocket so it cannot pull back thru. I used enough length so I can remove the knife from my BCD pocket and have it hang out in front of me to remove the knife from the sheath to use. The sheath cant get lost because it is, in effect, tethered to the BCD. Still may be a flawed set up, but it sure seemed like it worked okay on yesterdays "test" dive.
Thanks again to all that posted. Later today when they open I will give Atomic a call....I cant wait to hear their reasoning on this issue and will post back here what they say.

Something else you may want to consider, a lot of guys up here do this. Simply attach the sheath to your lnflator hose with a couple of good quality zip ties. A lot of guys up here carry rescue shears that way.

Something else you may want to consider, a lot of guys up here do this. Simply attach the sheath to your lnflator hose with a couple of good quality zip ties. A lot of guys up here carry rescue shears that way.

My knife came with a hose mount. I thought it would be difficult to remove and re-sheath the knife. Am I wrong? Another reason is that my spare air is mounted as part of my inflator hose.

My knife came with a hose mount. I thought it would be difficult to remove and re-sheath the knife. Am I wrong? Another reason is that my spare air is mounted as part of my inflator hose.

“Spare Air”?

Back
Top Bottom