Attaching dive knife to BCD?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msinc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have two different brands of BCD jackets and both have grommets in the pockets for the attachment of a dive knife. My question is how do you attach the sheath to the grommets? Even with a dive knife of the same brand as the jacket {with the grommets} I don't see any provision or design on the sheath to allow this. Bought them both new, read and saw the company remarking on the grommets for dive knife attachment, but they offer no specific instructions to attach. I can call them, but I figured I would just try here first. Both jackets appear to have about a 3 3/4" spacing on the grommets, so it seems like they arrived at that figure to fit something. I have looked at the knives and sheaths offered by both brands that make the jackets and there is nothing I can see to coincide with the grommets.....I have to be missing something, two different manufacturers could not have picked the same spacing measurement out of the air and be coincidentally the same, claim it is for the purpose of attaching a dive knife and then not bother to make a knife that has any provision to attach it????? Thanks in advance for reading this and as always any information is greatly appreciated.

Quality Zip Ties can often be used to attach things to other things, just a suggestion.

Thanks for the reply!!! This very same thought had occurred to me, but there is nothing on my sheath with that spacing to hold the zip tie. I understand if it is tight enough, but then there's the problem of zip tying to a single grommet. If I try to run the zip ties horizontally, thru both grommets that is. then they will mash together and not get tight, otherwise I would have to run it up and over the zipper of the pocket.....that don't seem right.
I have to be missing something, but neither Atomic nor ScubaPro has anything on their websites. This might not be the dumbest thing I have ever seen, but I am pretty sure it's in the top three!!!

Aqua-Lung-Squeeze-Lock-Knife-7.jpg

I've also zip tied my knife to my bcd through the grommets. you're right, you can't tighten too much else it will bunch everything up. you have to tighten to just the right length. i think i had to attach two zipties together, basically one in front and one in back.

FYI, there's these that fit zeagle products and I assume other brands have them too. used for attaching devices to the larger grommet holes, but I don't think they would fit the smaller holes in the knife sheath.

Zeagle Two Piece Plastic Screw Fastener
ZGL7009.png

How about this ScubaPro branded knife and sheath?
Scubapro White Tip Hose/BC Mount Knife

-Z

Thanks for all the replies folks!!! This knife, The ScubaPro White Tip looks like one that was purpose designed to mount on grommets in a BCD. It would work, but unfortunately that is not the knife I own....maybe I need to start looking for a knife that specifically mounts with grommets. One would think that if a company produces one BCD and it has grommets....and this same company produces just one dive knife, that the two would/should be compatible, but I guess not. Thanks again folks.

My mini Fogcutter knife matched the grommets on my AquaLung Zuma. Since I bought the knife as an open-box-buy, I was missing the back strap to keep the screws from falling through the grommets. I picked up some stainless washers at the hardware store and the problem was solved. Maybe buying a different dive knife is the solution.

Scubapro makes a knife adaptor for their BCDs. Costs about $8-$10.

I have a Sherwood Avid, bought the Akona BCD knife that fits it but mine has a couple of plastic clips that you take apart and then the sheath screws in. It does not use the grommets.

Back
Top Bottom