DIR- GUE Attaching a whistle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, what's wrong with an annoying combined 'quacker' and air horn?

Main thing is to have a bloody great big SMB. Not one of those pointless training sized ones, but a big man-sized one; 6foot/2m long and thick. Girth's far more important when it's on the surface; length comes into it's own when you've surfaced and can't see the boat. Hold on to it so it's vertical. Skipper can see that way further than a whistle in the wind.

If you're really stuck, get out your backup SMB and clip them together for a restful V sign whilst you wait.

(But this being DIR, the backup SMB is in your team-mate's pocket)

In my one-time open ocean drifting with >3' swells, the boat said they never saw my 6' long, wide SMB. I was holding it as high as i could. Not reassuring.

Fortunately they did see my flashlight. It was about 4 pm so it was not really issue with ambient light.

I'm not DIR but that is also exactly what I do as well. It's easily accessible if I ever need it. I use one of the smaller Wind Storm Safety Whistles. It is smaller than the larger Storm Safety Whistle but just about as loud. It is IMO a good tradeoff in smaller size but still more than adequate decibels.

I'll second the Storm safety whistles. Don't blow them without purpose or you'll blow your buddy's ears out ! I keep mine attached to my SMB with a ring. The idea is to have it at hand when surfacing with no boat around. Was lost at sea for 2h30 some years ago, everything ended well, but it's not my best diving memory and a useful whistle would have been convenient. The ones provided with dive jackets are useless.

I attach my storm whistle by it's lanyard to the bottom of my SMB. If I need it on the surface it's right there with me and the 6' SMB. Officially it's in my left pocket rolled up in the SMB and spool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom