Atomic T3 Regulator - Still worth the money in 2018?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All Atomics breathe the same so if the cost of the T3 is a factor - look at the B2 or ST1. since they have the same functionality (swivel hose, turret) at a lower cost. All 3 models have an all Ti 2nd stage.

Even A Z3(not Z2) has the 2nd stage swivel - just not the turret. Both stages made of Zirconium plated brass.

I've owned a B1, Z1 and T2 so I've used much of their line.

A lot of the important B2 internals are Ti also - just not the 1st stage body which is chrome/brass..

Every model has the same factory recommended service interval.

If I was buying now- I'd buy an ST1 as the corrosion resistance is all but the same.

The extra $750 buys a better octo. Or their SS1 Octo/Inflator which breathes the same as their other models.

Also a B2 is $1000 less...
Spec comparison of Atomic regs here:
Atomic Aquatics Regulator Specifications

Service interval reco is here - T3 can go 3 years/300 dives vs 2 years/300 dives for others - so a slight advantage if you don’t get in 150 dives a year?

https://www.atomicaquatics.com/reg_manual.pdf

Service interval reco is here - T3 can go 3 years/300 dives vs 2 years/300 dives for others - so a slight advantage if you don’t get in 150 dives a year?

I really wonder why T3 is rated for 3 years while others are for 2. Take B2 for example, all functional parts are exactly the same. So the difference can't come form 2nd stage. 1st stage wise, the only difference is the metal. All soft part, the working mechanism re the same. The previous T2x is also rated for 2 years. So it can't be the metal difference.

Maybe the environmental seal packing lubricant spec?
I contacted Atomic about whether Tribolube 71 can be substituted for packing the chamber, they insisted only Christolube MGC 111 can be used and maintain their service intervals.

I really wonder why T3 is rated for 3 years while others are for 2. Take B2 for example, all functional parts are exactly the same. So the difference can't come form 2nd stage. 1st stage wise, the only difference is the metal. All soft part, the working mechanism re the same. The previous T2x is also rated for 2 years. So it can't be the metal difference.
It's a selling point.

Pretty much someone offered a like new set T3 for me for 1k so curious if I should get it.

Get it. Do it now! There is one very important factor no one has mentioned. It's the ooh and aah factor. I have a T3 and when I walk on a crowded dive boat, it's like time stands still. The crowd just slowly steps back and parts, like when Moses parted the red sea, and gives me my space. That right there is worth something.

OK. Some of that might be a stretch but I do have a T3 and really like it. I bought mine new for just a tad under $1000 but I was given a pretty good deal. Had a T2X before that so the wife now has that one. Have a B2 as a spare.

Get it. Do it now! There is one very important factor no one has mentioned. It's the ooh and aah factor. I have a T3 and when I walk on a crowded dive boat, it's like time stands still. The crowd just slowly steps back and parts, like when Moses parted the red sea, and gives me my space. That right there is worth something.

OK. Some of that might be a stretch but I do have a T3 and really like it. I bought mine new for just a tad under $1000 but I was given a pretty good deal. Had a T2X before that so the wife now has that one. Have a B2 as a spare.

I think Atomic also sells a light weight Titanium pen for signing autographs, I know it did wonders for my wrist on dive boats! :)

I think Atomic also sells a light weight Titanium pen for signing autographs, I know it did wonders for my wrist on dive boats! :)

Damn. I didn't get one. I feel like a loser. Of course all I need to do is take a peek at my T3 and I'll start to feel better about myself.

There are two ways people get a Ti reg shell out $$$ or find an older Ti that need updating. I have done several that way and personally like the old T1x which cost me less than new Z3 (of course I did all the work).

I have one on my recreational set that I'm happy with. I would not buy it again, as I do not find the extra money worth the benefits.

It's a good reg, light and compact, and it breathes about the same as all my other regs (dive rite & deep6). I personally do not like the swivel hose, but that's easily replaced (have to buy a jam nut for a standard LP hose to work). The reason I quit using it as much is because I moved to doing technical diving, titanium & yoke not being good for that.

If I didn't change my diving style, I would still be happily diving it today.

The reason I quit using it as much is because I moved to doing technical diving, titanium & yoke not being good for that.

What concerns do you have with the Titanium regulators and technical diving? I wouldn't use one for a deco regulator, due to the increased oxygen content. However, for backgas, I don't think you'll have any compatibility issues. Do you still use it with a single tank configuration?

Back
Top Bottom