Atomic T3 Regulator - Still worth the money in 2018?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the first stage one is looking at at least updating to the monel piston and sealing the reg. If AA does the upgrade then they replace a couple of other parts, the swivel retainer and the HP seat retainer. At that point AA says the reg can be air or nitrox (where as in the past it had to be one or the other but not both).

Anything after that, which is second stage is purely cosmetic. I replaced the exhaust and purge cover, later was shot. So the cost of a "color" kit. All total ~$250 in parts in including the service kits.

The T2x and T3 use the monel piston so that the reg can be used with both air and nitrox interchangeably. With SS piston one was to dedicate the reg to air or nitrox but not both.

How does the SS piston 'know' it's been 'dedicated' to air vs nitrox ? If one never goes beyond EAN 40 (I use EAN 32, and rarely EAN 36) I can't imagine it's going to be any sort of safety issue in any case.

How does the SS piston 'know' it's been 'dedicated' to air vs nitrox ? If one never goes beyond EAN 40 (I use EAN 32, and rarely EAN 36) I can't imagine it's going to be any sort of safety issue in any case.
I thought the bigger fear in high O2 uses was the titanium itself not the Stainless piston? Presume it’s the high flow over the piston end??

In normal 32% nitrox I too don’t see how it would make any difference.

It not that the SS knows one or the other but that one or the other only is used. The whole goal is to reduce the chance of combustion in the Ti chamber. If one used only modified grade E air or nitrox then one could switch back and forth. But most do not.

When using plain ole air it can/will contain more hydrocarbons (than modified grade E air) and thus give a source of combustion when one switches to nitrox. What aids that combustion? High flow over a sharp edge piston which gets hot. Which if monel reduces the chances.

eelnoraa: MCG 111 Christo-Lube 2 Ounce Syringe

It not that the SS knows one or the other but that one or the other only is used. The whole goal is to reduce the chance of combustion in the Ti chamber. If one used only modified grade E air or nitrox then one could switch back and forth. But most do not.

When using plain ole air it can/will contain more hydrocarbons (than modified grade E air) and thus give a source of combustion when one switches to nitrox. What aids that combustion? High flow over a sharp edge piston which gets hot. Which if monel reduces the chances.

eelnoraa: MCG 111 Christo-Lube 2 Ounce Syringe

OK, it appears I have the following Atomic Ti regs:

(4) T2 Ti piston
(1) T2X Monel piston
(3) T3 Monel piston

Is this correct?

And for the sake of argument, what would be the estimated retail cost (parts + labor) of upgrading a reg piston from Ti to Monel ?

(4) T2 Ti piston
(1) T2X Monel piston
(3) T3 Monel piston

Is this correct?

And for the sake of argument, what would be the estimated retail cost (parts + labor) of upgrading a reg piston from Ti to Monel ?
Monel piston is $72, Stainless $60

(4) T2 Ti piston

Is this correct?

The original piston would be SS not Ti. Regarding the cost to change to a monel piston. I would just call it ~$70 for the cost of the piston and do it during a regularly scheduled/needed maintenance. I would not do it otherwise because it would be just a waste of time and money.

And if you decide to swap out the pistons send me a note as I would buy the SS pistons from ya.

The original piston would be SS not Ti.

Yep as is the main spring...

21-0570-00 Spring (Stainless) T2, T2X, B2, Z2, Z2X
01-0022-MO Piston Monel T2X, T3
01-0022-00 Piston Blunt End (Stainless) T2, B2, Z2, Z2X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom