Atomic Sub-Frame Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKicker

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All, thinking about getting a Atomic Sub-Frame Mask and wanted to hear from anyone who has one about like or dislikes. Thanks for your time...

I first bought the framless model but couldn't get a seal so I traded it in for the sub-frame. I love it. Clear view, comfortable, doesn't leak.

First mask in 31 years of diving that I can use, turning upside down taking pictures toward the surface without the mask leaking. I have a moustache and it seals great. I love it. It also has a lifetime warranty (it's the only mask with a lifetime warranty), we just don't know what it covers!

I want one of the new Atomic masks also...trying to decide if I want to spend that much $$ on a mask.

Try it on first!
My LDS store manager and I tried them on when the rep brought them by, and the frame pressed awkwardly into the bridge of my nose, and his. Neither of us have big noses. It was impossible to get a good seal.
I think that it will only fit a very select face shape.

The frameless mask felt great.
The construction, cosmetics, and glass looks great.

The next day, other DMs and shop employees tried them on and they didn't fit any of us.

Look at the Mares X Vision if you have not already.

I have had terrible trouble finding a mask that did not leak. I had one generic cheapo that worked but I guess was somehwat poor quality because after 30 (summer) dives the silicon kinda hardened, and didn't seal anymore. I did not want to buy another of the same since I need Rx, and it gets costly to keep two and renew after every 30 dives!

I tried Cressi Big Eyes, Mares X-vision and several others than can be fitted with drop-in Rx lenses. No luck. Was getting quite discouraged with constant nasal flushings. New season started and got my hands on one of the first Rx'ed Atomic Subframes - thanks to PGDive, delivered straight to dive site! It fit absolutely great on land, so off I went. I was particularly hopefull since the silicon under the nose cuts nice and close to the nose, and oh boy is it supple. The lenses are really ultra-clear (tho I have to say the Rx's could have been cut to look a bit, umm, appealing).

First few dives it leaked. I was discouraged. I had a chance to return (thanks again to PGDive's excellent crew) but I continued to experiment because it felt like it was sealing. I had had it way too loose. For some reason it feels so very different and snugs up to my face that it took me like 6 dives before I understood to tighten it properly. With my face I still get little spills when I move drastically but it really sits nice with that soft silicon (mine is black skirt btw). Also, I like the buckles better than any of my previous ones.

...all of which goes to show that the primary rule of a mask is "does it fit?"....

FWIW, I had issues with the Mares X-Vision; it was a bit too wide after several dives, and would dig into my nose/forehead when crancked down to stop the leak. The Atomic fixed all this.

All the best, James

Thanks for the input. I tried the mask on as well as well as several others. It was by far the most comfortable anb seal the best. I think I will pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom