Atomic SS1 vs. ScubaPro AIR2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have used Air2s on rental BCs but when we bought our own Scubapro BCs we got SS1s. The inflate/deflate buttons are much larger and easier to press and the purge valve is better placed. The mouthpiece is nicer too. Very happy with the SS1, it breathes well underwater. You don't have to take it out of your mouth to deflate, but I usually use my shoulder valve anyways. It unscrews easily for travel too.

The rental AIR2 I used did freeflo. I couldn’t pull the dump without both hands (I think that was a BC issue though) and was a huge improvement from the rental Octo’s.

I chose the SS1, can’t say I chose it easily over the AIR2, the AIR2 would have been cheaper and the information I got was that they were comparable quality etc. I also wouldn’t argue over which is better.

I have no reservation or hesitation giving up my primary then finding it. It breathes great, no stress or concern using it in OOA (practice only – knock on wood), I just like my B2 even better. Have to remember to practice hitting the purge, I forget I may need to some day. It hasn’t freeflowed, hasn’t had any adjustment from the tech installing it. The transition is effortless which continues to surprise me.
The mouthpiece is much more comfortable for me, a big difference from the AIR2. And with my primary as well, I do remember to grip it a bit with my teeth when in close proximity, both are so comfortable my mouth is very relaxed. Neither have been pulled out when snagged, nor have I been in a severely stressed irrational combative situation and I think I understand the issues some people have regarding the principal in general.
I have hit the deflate when hugging myself initially breaking the paddling urge, never shot up or down and doing the Adam Clasp instead solved that.
As for pulling the dump, I have three dumps and use them all frequently as situation arises, none are easier or more difficult to employ. Hearing the complaints I keep wondering if I’m doing it wrong.
I liked the buttons better on the SS1, seemed more intuitive for me, but very subtly, maybe just more aesthetically pleasing.
Don’t think I can compare cleaning; I just do the same as my primary.

Two things to look at, I can’t speak of other BC’s, but I’ve noticed these with my Seaquest. Check how it lies when hooked up on your BC. I do consider getting the different dump hose as wmspdi spoke of but it is not enough of a consideration to be on the ‘to get’ list. Perhaps my LP hose is getting trained. And, the LP signal things, if you use one check if it connects and the bulk is acceptable.

I considered both and have not questioned or regretted my choice. I’m a noob so take that into account, I didn’t have to unlearn anything.

Don Janni:
That's not what you meant to say is it? You do not have to remove either one to dump air from your BC.

I like the SS1. It breaths well. No free flows. Dumps air without having to be removed!!!!

However, it simply unscrews from the corrugated hose so it's very easy to remove it for travel.

Actually that IS what I meant to say so let me explain:

Yes, you can press the BCD "dump" button while the SS1 is in your mouth, however I found in order to get ALL of the air out of my BC I had to remove it from my mouth, and hold it over my head. Otherwise air still remained in my BCD. Since I am carefull not to over weight myself I need to get almost ALL of the air from my BCD before surfacing. I found holding the inflator above my head was the only way to do this without using the shoulder dump valve. This may not be an issue with all BCDs but it was with mine.

The scubapro air 2 isn't balanced, same as the Atomic. However you are confusing "balanced" when it comes to second stages. Balanced first stages by the great majority will have better performance, balanced second may or may not have better performance. It is more a function of how they are tuned and of course designed. All the air integrated inflator/octo combos are going to breath not as well as a normal second, balanced or unbalanced otherwise they would drive you nuts with freeflowing.

cerich:
The scubapro air 2 isn't balanced, same as the Atomic. However you are confusing "balanced" when it comes to second stages. Balanced first stages by the great majority will have better performance, balanced second may or may not have better performance. It is more a function of how they are tuned and of course designed. All the air integrated inflator/octo combos are going to breath not as well as a normal second, balanced or unbalanced otherwise they would drive you nuts with freeflowing.

I understand the differences, and the advantages/disadvantages. During a pre-purchase call to Atomic, regarding questions I had about the SS1, it was one of their service techs (at Atomic) who cautioned me not to expect the same performance from their unbalanced SS1, compared to their balanced second stages. Personally I didn't notice much of a difference compared to my M1 regulators, but since ATOMIC felt they should make the balanced/unbalanced point, I included their caution for sake of completeness.

When I read your original post I took it literally. I guess I should have known I needed to add the words "from my mouth." I thought you were thinking the unit had to be removed. Pretty stupid of me I admit.

You know I'm not a tech diver and never intended to be so I would have no way to appreciate the challanges they may face. With that said, I often wonder why all the fuss? In my case, if I'm switching to my SS1 it's for 1 of 2 reasons; 1. my 2nd stage stopped working. 2. someone else needs emergency air. In either case my dive is aborted and I'm heading for the surface. Personally, I'm not going to be very worried about (short of a safety stop) controlling bouyancy.

wmspdi:
Actually that IS what I meant to say so let me explain:

Yes, you can press the BCD "dump" button while the SS1 is in your mouth, however I found in order to get ALL of the air out of my BC I had to remove it from my mouth, and hold it over my head. Otherwise air still remained in my BCD. Since I am carefull not to over weight myself I need to get almost ALL of the air from my BCD before surfacing. I found holding the inflator above my head was the only way to do this without using the shoulder dump valve. This may not be an issue with all BCDs but it was with mine.

I bought an Air2 for my wife, with her BC. Only a few months old, but no free flow problems with it yet.

I haven't breathed off of it at depth yet, can't comment on that.

Don Janni:
...In either case my dive is aborted and I'm heading for the surface. Personally, I'm not going to be very worried about (short of a safety stop) controlling bouyancy.
I would say that since the immediate air emergency has been resolved, might as well ascend as carefully as normal (with proper ascent rate and safety stop). Agreed the dive is over but why not be worried about bouyancy?

I said "short of a safety stop." Yes, a controlled ascend rate would go along with that. If I were going to try and continue the dive I might be more concerned about the frequency of having to take it out and put it in my mouth. However, when ascending I always have the upper shoulder valve to fall back on.

...and remember the original post asked a pretty simple question. It's the rest of us who have made it complicated.

liberato:
I would say that since the immediate air emergency has been resolved, might as well ascend as carefully as normal (with proper ascent rate and safety stop). Agreed the dive is over but why not be worried about bouyancy?

Ah, I see what you were saying. Agreed!

OK, some more comments (just to add more complication):

I have an Air 2 and it has been completely reliable. The buttons just feel wrong though. If I were to get a new one it would be the SS1. Better buttons, better mouthpiece, better service interval (the valve is unloaded when unpressurized), better aesthetics (OK, not high on the list of importance but all else being equal...), and easy removability from the corrugated hose.

Some info for those using the Air 2. When installing make sure you use the correct location for the cable pin. The default location is wrong for some BCs such as Zeagle. You can determine correct location by holding the original release valve and the Air 2 side by side and noticing where the pin lines up. The alternate location is not completely drilled out so you do need to do that much. Using the default locaton in such a case leaves too much slack in the cable and requires a more aggressive stretch on the hose to activate dump, causing extra stress on the area around the dump valve on the BC which can contribute to failure.

I had to get a longer corrugated hose after deciding to use the for Air 2 for a dive just as a drill (it would be silly to use it the first time in an emergency, I thought). I could not look to the right fully otherwise. Most PC manufacturers have alternate sizes with precut cable or make one yourself as DA Aquamaster said. I did not have any problem using the cable dump with Air 2 mouthpiece in mouth for an entire dive.

I understand the rationale of the detractors of these type of systems but in my case it is ideal. My main hose is slightly longer than normal (36") and swiveled. If handed off it has enough slack for usability (I want the OOA victim near me anyway). My octo hose is to a pony bottle (just for me if catastrophic 1st stage failure, more as an anxiety reliever than an expectation of ever needing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom