Atomic Splitfin: Yellow = Smokes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birmbear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I was at my LDS today, looking at their display of Atomic splitfins. The guy there said that there is no difference (other than color) in material/performance among the yellow, "smoke on the water," blue, whatever.

Is he (pardon the pun) blowing smoke? Or does he speak the truth?

__Birm

There is a recent thread where someone else said that the Smokes and liquid blue were the same. The other colors are slightly stiffer. My LDS had the smoke for I think $169. This was a killer deal, but they are out of my size XL. The smokes include the spring straps for the same price as the regular Atomic Splits.

The only difference between the reef reds and the smokes are the straps; smokes come with steel spring straps and reef reds just standard plastic ones...

My understanding is the liquid blues (which I have) are softer, more flexible. I dunno about "smokes" - whether they are different than the various colours besides liquid blue.

FWIW, my liquid blues are not particularly fast. I've had bad dive buddies leave me in the dust - with me sprinting as fast as I can and not even coming close to catching up. Maybe I just can't fin, I dunno - but if you want fast, I'd look elsewhere. I got these because the softer material is supposed to help avoid leg cramping. On that note, I've had very little cramping - so maybe there is something to it.

Good luck!
nd

I have the yellow Atomic splits and bought spring straps for them. I also bought mine due to having leg cramp problems with traditional paddle fins. I rarely get cramps with the Atomic splits.

Gaffer

I read somewhere that the reds were different( stiffer I believe) from the rest. I own the red and they are the only ones I have ever had on, so from experience I can't tell you squat.

Official Atomic response..
The Liquid, Red and Smoke are all made of the same material which is a little softer more responsive than the standard yellow, blue etc. The only difference between Liquid ,Red and Smoke is that the Smoke come /w the spring straps (which from personal experience-- rock! ))
thanks,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

I have the atomic smokes and I do like them. Plenty of speed, no leg stress and still rather manuverable. It would be nice if the springs were a little tighter, but that's just a personal opinion, they may fit differently for others. All said, money well spent...

Whichever you prefer, go with the 'try before you buy' approach. See if you can find an LDS that will let you try them out or rent them before you spend any money. Either that or make sure they're liberal with returns...

I have the atomic smokes and I do like them. Plenty of speed, no leg stress and still rather manuverable. It would be nice if the springs were a little tighter, but that's just a personal opinion, they may fit differently for others. All said, money well spent...

Whichever you prefer, go with the 'try before you buy' approach. See if you can find an LDS that will let you try them out or rent them before you spend any money. Either that or make sure they're liberal with returns...

Have you tried adjusting the springs? You can make them shorter/tighter by moving the bar inside the clamp housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom