Atomic regulator sales online now allowed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimLap:
Sounds like the program oceanic has been using.

That was my thought exactly. It sounds like the site is hosted by Atomic on behalf of its dealers. It will proably redirect the user to an LDs based on zip code.

I just wonder how this will affect/force Aqualung and Scubpro in their online stance? I mean finally Atomics has the ability of getting upper hand on them on sales.

fireflock:
The key, for customers, is if dealers have to stick to some sort of minimum advertised price.

I'm figureing that's so.... (hence Phils post of the devil is in the details).

JimLap:
Sounds like the program oceanic has been using.

You know, when I read the announcment I thought the same thing, that it might be modeled off what Oceanic did for their dealers to be able to have a small storefront on the oceanic site. I think this was a neat idea of Oceanic and made their dealers w/o online sales feel good, but I really doubt that this sales model actually generates that much sales traffic. Most folks don't goto the manufacturer site to buy it but to the stores own site.

mike_s:
You know, when I read the announcment I thought the same thing, that it might be modeled off what Oceanic did for their dealers to be able to have a small storefront on the oceanic site. I think this was a neat idea of Oceanic and made their dealers w/o online sales feel good, but I really doubt that this sales model actually generates that much sales traffic. Most folks don't goto the manufacturer site to buy it but to the stores own site.

Mike_s: Exactly.

well.................

It's their "effort" to appease dealers..... but their will STILL be MAP pricing, thus the grey market will still flourish...............

PPL who buy online look for 1 thing, PRICE.............

they know the game to play to get it warrantied if they really want to go that route, or they don't care about the warranty. You often save enough to have 3-4 service's done and more ppl don't do annual services, they do it when there is a problem, or before a major trip.

tis my 2 cents

JungleJoe:
well.................

It's their "effort" to appease dealers..... but their will STILL be MAP pricing, thus the grey market will still flourish...............QUOTE]

JungleJoe: You are right on the money. This feel good measure will have no real impact on the actual e-commerce market. Divers seeking specific products at the best price will find those products and those prices.

E-commerce is here to stay. A clean, you are OK to sell direct policy, is the only policy that really works.

My guess is that Atomic will more closely follow the model of General Electric, Victoria's Secret, and other large retailers................

I am guessing one of the "traffic director" companies like Shopatron. Unlike Oceanic that hosts "overlay" web stores for dealers, I would expect a single, factory host site, probably on the Shopatron (or something like it) system, that directs the sales to dealers based on either zip code or some sort of service bidding system.......

The real questions will be.............
Who collects the money?
Who determines which dealer gets the sale?
How is the money transfered to the dealer.....store credit or cold cash?
Who has control of the MASSIVE amount in information gained from a sale?

You see......here is how REAL ecommerce works.......

I buy a widget from MDB for $X
I post it on the internet for $X x 1.30%
I get the traffic to my site
I induce the customer to order
I collect the data
I collect the money
I service the customer

ANY OTHER WAY will not work. The dealer must collect the money. The dealer must collect and own the data. The dealer must be in control of the transaction.

The CUSTOMER must be in charge of who they want to fill the order. It matters a lot. Picture this...you want a regulator and you visit my shop. For whatever reason, you HATE me and decide you would NEVER buy a regulator from me. So you order it online. And guess what.....I get the sale anyway! That will really piss you off. Lets say you purchase online because you don't want to pay sales tax. You live in Birmingham Alabama. I get the sale and you pay 9% more to buy it from me than you do a dealer in Atlanta. (sales tax). Customers seem to like to control these types of things.

As I said previously.............the devil is in the details!

Phil Ellis

Oh, One More Note: IN MY OPINION.....the "other" guys will be scrambling to figure out how they can all of a sudden start saying that selling on the internet is NOW completely safe, that face to face delivery of the products is magically no longer necessary, and that the personal briefing you get with a face to face sale is not necessary for the safe operation of your equipment, and that there is no problem with a warranty without face to face pre-sale briefing. When they figure out how to eat that crow (by the way, this is the largest bird in the world), they will be jumping in behind Atomic so fast it will risk making the boat swamp. Remember, I said it here months ago.....they WILL change.

And when they are all in that boat together......it will still be much about nothing.

Up here in NorCal Atomic dealers are scarcer than hen's teeth.

Plus the Atomic page lists several supposed dealers in my area, that have actually been out of business or dropped the product years ago. I feel all alone...... I have found Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento that can do the service on my Z1 though.

Now if I could go buy the Z2 or M1 I want off an e-tailer, and have it factory-warrantied, I'd be happy.

JungleJoe:
PPL who buy online look for 1 thing, PRICE.............

tis my 2 cents

that assumption is incorrect

Product availability, service and convenience rate higher than stand alone "price".

That is not to say that price isn't a critical factor for many/some consumers but what you just said is typical of how the dive industry has perceived online shoppers, they are wrong and that is one of the reasons the INTERNET has done so much damage to our LDS's (not all of them, some really get it including some that don't do online sales)

Somehow I don't think that the over-priced Atom regulator will be any cheaper online.

mdb:
JungleJoe:
well.................

It's their "effort" to appease dealers..... but their will STILL be MAP pricing, thus the grey market will still flourish...............QUOTE]

JungleJoe: You are right on the money. This feel good measure will have no real impact on the actual e-commerce market. Divers seeking specific products at the best price will find those products and those prices.

E-commerce is here to stay. A clean, you are OK to sell direct policy, is the only policy that really works.

Lets be fair to Atomic here guys, they have been the best in the industry at preventing/finding/stopping their product from getting to the grey market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom