Atomic Reg and Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgraham11

Reaction score
I'm looking into gradually getting into technical diving and I'm also looking into getting a new reg. Currently I'm working as a DM candidate and the LDS I work with carries Oceanic, Mares, and Atomic. I would like to support them, and I've been considering the Atomic B1, but I would first like to know if this would be a decent technical reg (ie. able to field strip if necessary, good in exteme conditions, etc...).

Or would I be better off going to another shop and looking at the ScubaPro line (which from what I've read seems to be more common for technical diving).

Not familiar with the other lines to answer your question, but I till toss in that the Apeks line (distributed by SeaQuest), specifically the TX50 and higher, should be in the mix of tehnical regs.

pgraham,Atomic was started by 2 ex-scubapro guys.Very similar,very good.If you'll be doing any deep or overhead diving you'll probly be diving doubles and use stage bottles.this equates to 4 regs.It's quite expensive to get started up.I personally use Scuba-pro G-250s with Mk20 1sts,and R-380s with Mk2 1sts for stages.The Atomics are field -strippable and high-performance.The thing about mixed-gasses tho is that due to the decreased density of helium you actually don't need a high performance reg at depth,just reliable.I like buying where I train,sort of keeping it in the family.

Atomic regulators are nice but from what I have seen they tend to be spendy. I like my Poseidon Odin/Jetstream-many divers don't feel that way-they hate them(I believe you can insert TexasMike into this category!!!!). I would say, with a great deal of certainty, that most(especially on this board) divers like, if not almost worship, the Apeks line of regulators. They are high performance, relatively inexpensive, and almost indestructible. I bought my wife an Apeks TX50 and she really likes it-and so do I to tell the truth.

Hey! I've must have been napping if/when I said that!

Actually, I've seen several Poseiden's at work and think they are also great regs. Unfortuantely, they are being offered in the Dallas area (or do I remember something about them being out of production?).

I have also seen a brand/model of tech reg known as the Abyss (used by my TDI instructor). A quick try on land and I was very impressed (you can tune it with the side knob all the way from impossible to draw a breath the freeflowing).

I will see if I can get some more info for you guys.

Like I said, the main reason I was looking at the Atomic was because the LDS I primarily deal with only carries Oceanic, Mares, and Atomic, and between those three it looked like it was the closet one to fit my needs. I haven't ruled out the possibility of going to another store and looking at either the ScubaPro or Apeks line though.

I'm going to be in the shop this week and I'm going to see if they might be able to order Apeks since they are already a SeaQuest dealer. I just don't know if they would be able to service it or not.

Sorry I got he wrong person, TexasMike, but can you blame me?? I am geting a little defensive with all the DIR divers "dissin" my Poseidon Odin. I probably got you confused with another diver from south of the Mason Dixon Line-sorry. Interesting that you should mention the Abyss line of regs, TexasMike, cause Poseidon makes their 1st stages-as you well know I'm sure. With regards to Poseidon regs- do you mean that you can't find them in your area and you think that they might not be in production anymore?? I know that Scubatoys in Dallas sells the Odin/Jetstream.

I've been using Poseidons since 1974 and dive DIR with the exception of the Odin. I also use Apex and the Abyssmal regs as well. The Odin is a great reg. but the Abyssmal has it beat if you're in a silty environment (wrecks/caves). It uses the Odin first stage with a Kirby-Morgan adjustable second which you can vary from completely off to full free-flow. The Odin seconds tend to free-flow if you get silt in them and you can't unscrew the diaphram cover to resolve the problem as you can with the other regs. Poseidon is now being distributed in the US through Ocean Managment Systems (OMS).

As far as technical regs, the general concensus seems to be that these are the acceptable regs. today (in no particular order):

Apex TX40 or TX50 before Sea Quest got a hold of them.
Zeagle DS-4
Poseidon Odin (though not DIR)
Scuba Pro MK-10/G250 MK-15/G250 (not the HP)
Beauchat VX-10

Poseidons are available in the Dallas area at Emerald Sea Divers, 2 Dive 4 aka Scuba Toys and in Ft. Worth at Southern Scuba.

Tekdiver-
You state that the Odin is generally accepted as a "tec regulator" so what about the Cyclon 5000?? As I understand you CAN unscrew the the diaphram cover quite easily on the Cyclon and for that reason it seems to have earned a reluctant "O.K." from the DIR community(like a DIO.K.?)
I have seen many photos of tec divers breathing from Cyclons but not Odins. Even the diver that Poseidon sponsered to break the depth record used a Cyclon but not an Odin. But the US Navy uses Odins....so what gives with the preference of using a Cyclon 5000 over an Odin and vice versa??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom