Atomic questions. SS1 and B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a B2 DIN that's about 10 years old. Always been a great reg, but I just have not been diving in quite some time so I'm about to take it in for service. Many years ago, when I had money to blow, I thought it was a good idea to have the first stage environmentally sealed, which increases service cost because of the Christolube.

I dive in warm South Florida salt water. I assume the environmental seal isn't really necessary? Should I have it removed and put the standard perforated rubber ring back on (I don't think the shop ever gave that back so I would need a new one). Or should I leave it as it and just suck it up and pay the extra $20 or whatever it is? Edit: I think I can afford $10 a year, probably just leave it alone?

Next, I use an SS1. I'm debating moving away from this setup, going back to a traditional octo, and selling the SS1. I use a wireless computer so my setup is very streamlined with only 2 hoses, but I'm thinking I like the versatility of having a standard inflator, and a traditional octo. With the SS1 hose, I can't attach any accessories, like air gun, intermediate pressure gauge, etc. I have to uninstall it and temporarily install a standard inflator hose.

Also, when I need to inflate a safety sausage, I have to remove my primary second stage, and switch over to the SS1. Kind of an inconvenience. I also have to brief whoever I'm diving with that in the event of an emergency, they will take my primary.

Opinions?

I would definitely keep it. It isn't just for cold or polluted water, it is used to keep it extra reliable. All of my Atomic regulators, I have lots of them, are sealed and they are the most reliable regulators I have ever used. Because of the design of the Atomic regulators, I usually go for 3 - 5 years in between servicing while the regulators are performing like new without any issues.

Skip a couple of meals and save the $20 for sealing it again and you won't have to worry about it for the next 3 years.

Different divers dive different setups. I'm very much the opinion there are no right or wrong setups.
That said,,the SS1 is a very good streamlined setup, but I don't like integrated seconds.
The reason that I like a traditional 2nd is that stuff breaks when you are on the boat, it just happens no matter how well maintained it is. With a traditional 2nd, I can start swapping parts out on the boat with my multi-tool. It gives me ALOT more avenues to fix/rig-up a setup to keep diving rather than sit on the deck while your friends dive.
P.S. want some tiny insurance for your dive bag? Put both a low pressure and high pressure port plug in your dive bag. For the size of a nickel, you can still keep diving.

Which one do you use please?
Every shops sells it, but I just linked this one for reference.
It's called Scuba Tool. Rust free, has the correct wrenches for hoses, etc, O-ring pick, allen wrenches for plugs, etc, and enough of the proper sizes to keep you diving while swapping out parts between dives.

Scuba Tool - Save A Dive & First Aid -
eraseme.jpg

It's called Scuba Tool. Rust free, has the correct wrenches for hoses, etc, O-ring pick, allen wrenches for plugs, etc, and enough of the proper sizes to keep you diving while swapping out parts between dives.

View attachment 538900

Thank you, I thought you were talking about something else I am not familiar with.

I dive with an Atomic B2 and SS1. It is my preferred set up. I get my kit serviced every two years and have never had a problem with either the B2 of SS1.

This was not my first reg set up. I have used standard octo but prefer streamlining. I also use an Air Integrated computer.

I like to swim very low over the reef looking for octopus and other hidden critters...two less hoses help keep from dragging or snagging on all the lava and reef here on Big Island.

View attachment 538900
I find the wrenches on that tool are almost always useless for hoses - not enough clearance with most 1st stages. I have a small adjustable wrench plus this tool that has more useful options, and far less weight. (Plus a few other odds and ends too)
upload_2019-9-6_18-53-28.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom