Atomic M1 vs B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chose it because I plan to do advanced nitrox/deco work in the near future. I've been using it for a year with air and recreational nitrox, cold (to 35 degree) and warm (to 80 degree) water, some heavy currents, as deep as 125 ft. I love this reg - think it breathes great at all depths (so far).

I asked the same question back in November and got some GREAT respones. Here is the link: http://www.scubaboard.com/t79528-atomic-b2-or-the-m1.html

Personally, I finally went with the B2. I completely understand your challange of choicing between the two. The day I bought my reg, I went back and forth 5 times. For me, it finally came down to this. Out of box, I would get more immediate satisfication with the B2. I find the B2 INCREDIBLEY comfortable to dive with and have taken it down to 150 feet. There was NO resistance in the breathing effort. Although I must also mention that I believe most balanced 1st and 2nd stage regs will give you similiar results. I've taken a 250 dollar reg (Genesis GS 2000) down to that depth and it breathed almost the same. The B2 was just more comfortable doing it and I knew that if I needed that little extra performance it had plenty left!

The M1 seems a little more tech oriented. Allowing up to 80% Nitrox (less if you switch back and forth to air) and some of upgrade components (cave rig). But I loved how light the B2 was and it came standard with the shivel hose. Don't under estimate the importance of that. Now, you can pretty much interchange the two as for upgrades. I was told you could environmentally seal the B2 and change out the O-rings so it could handle 80% Nitrox. So with upgrades, you could pretty much get the best of both worlds with EITHER OPTION. But like I said, I needed and preferred the benefits of the B2 now.... So I went with that one. Have there been days I wish I would have gone with the M1... Sure... No specific reason - just natural to wonder what would have happened if I had gone the other route.

But in the end - here is the best advice while deciding between those two: you will be hard pressed to make a mistake :)

Thanks for the advice, I ended up going with the m1 just because of the abilitity to upgrade later on with the cave ring, the ease of nitrox, I did get the swivel hose thrown in so I cant complain. going to use it this weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with.

No matter which Atomic you get, it would be a good choice. As long as you choose Atomic, you can't go wrong. I will probably never own another reg.

I, too appreciate all the great opinions. I have been thinking the Atomic line the best for me, but didn't know much about the differences between B-1 & M-1.

One other question, with all the differences, what is the average price difference between the two? Compariable, or a factor in the decision?

uscgrescueswimmer:
Just searching the board and atomic site for a new reg and I have narrowed it down to these 2 regs. Could someone enlighten me on the diffrences. Thanks for your time

Just had an Atomic B2 try and kill me this sunday (3-13-05). I was at 50 feet and the regualtor hose seperated from the first stage. Heard a loud BANG and had my primary and secondary regulators go completely dead immediately. Bubbles everywhere and a loud roaring sound sound as the low pressure port dumped air directly into seawater. I was able to swim over to a nereby diver in the group who saw the whole thing happen and was ready with her regulator. We made a controlled acent to the surface amid all the roaring and bubbles being put out by the low pressure port. Figured it took just few minutes for my tank (steel 120 cu ft) to empty. By the time we got to the surface the tank was empty.

Someone was able to retrieve the regualtor lying in the sand and return it to the dive boat. when we looked at the regulator hose we discovered that the metal color that is supposed to be crimped to the first stage was all bright and shiny and had apprently never been crimped at the factory. the hose was just holding on with friction.

Talked to the dive shop and atomic aquatics who was actually really concerned about the problem. Currently they are trying to check other regualtors for the defect and see how mine got through their quality control process. Not sure if there is going to be a recall or not but I would check to make sure the hose is crimped onto the first stage if you buy any Atomic aquatics regulator.

Trying to get the word out to as many folks as possible in case there are more of these defective regulators out there.

Thanks for the info Yakdiver. I am glad you are ok after such an incident. Please let us know what happens with your follows up to atomic. The first thing I did when I got my M1 was switch out all the hoses (DIR style).

Matt

I've been evaluating different regulators. I was settling on the M1 or B2 myself, the enviro seal would be preferred on the M1, I'm a little concerned about their QC though, they had a recent recall on some bad springs and now a bad crimp on a hose. I'm sure they will take it seriously, hopefully, they will review their QC program and see if it needs a little work.

I dive the B2, but I use the M1's wider exhaust-T and longer Rapid Adjustment Knob with it. Never had single a issue - a really great reg design with build quality second to none. Great support from the Manufacturer as well.

Jaci:
I've been evaluating different regulators. I was settling on the M1 or B2 myself, the enviro seal would be preferred on the M1, I'm a little concerned about their QC though, they had a recent recall on some bad springs and now a bad crimp on a hose. I'm sure they will take it seriously, hopefully, they will review their QC program and see if it needs a little work.

I am surprised the LDS who sold the reg missed the hose issue when they set it up. Isn't that "final check and calibration" (ie; dealer prep) what they use to justify the huge markup over buying over the internet? The truth is few companies make ALL of their parts, and ANY mfg can get a bad part from a supplier (ie; the hose). Look how many problems a major player like Scubapro has had (shall we dig into the X650 recall?).

Atomic is a quality product, I have three that I trust my family's life with, but I also agree one defect in a piece of life support gear could end up costing a life.

As I said... what about the LDS role in delivery of the product, or was their even an LDS?

Back
Top Bottom