Atomic M1 vs B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just searching the board and atomic site for a new reg and I have narrowed it down to these 2 regs. Could someone enlighten me on the diffrences. Thanks for your time

I also would like this same info please. I am either going with the Enviromentally sealed B2 or the M1 with the added swivel. The M1 seams to have more add ons available, ie. Titanium Kit, cave ring, swivel, etc.

I have also read from 2 sources that the M1 breathes a little harder at depth, but not sure what depth. ( if its 200+ feet then I really don't care). What does Larry charge to add the swivel to the M1? Anyone?

The M1 is Nitrox usable to 80% out of the box. 60% back and forth without service.
The B2 is up to 40% back and forth without service. That is what the manufacturer told me is the main difference. Also, the M1 has a heat transfer fin at the 2nd; however, if you choose the swivel you loose the fins for heat transfer, I think.

I have the B2 and my wife has the M1. All Atomic regs are built basically the same except the material used in the construction.

The M1 first stage is made of brass and monel and the second stage is made of zirconium/nickel over brass. The seating orifice is made of stainless instead of titanium. Because of this construction, this reg is rated for up to 80% nitrox.

The B2 first stage is made of brass and stainless and the secone stage is made of titanuim and stainless. The seating orifice is made of titanium. Because of this construction, this reg is rated for up to 40 % nitrox. The B2 comes with a swivel in the hose, which I like. Helps keep the reg in your mouth straight. Nice feature.

Both regs breath the same. It is the application which will determine your choice. My wife likes her M1, but I like the B2 because the second stage is a lot lighter (titanium - go figure). Here is a link to help you understand.

Click here ---->[red]Atomic Regulator Comparison[/red]

I have the M1 and have had it to 86ft. Very easy breather in any position. Mine has the swivel. I love it. It also has the added entertainment value of watching the boat crew try to figure out how to mount it.

The M1 also comes with the cold water rings on the 2nd stage. Another feature that the M1 has that the B2 doesnt is the purge button is MUCH less likely to freeflow in a strong current. The purge button is a bit stiffer and the vents in the front are almost non existent (on the sides of the purge). So if you do alot of drift or strong current diving, the M1 tends to be better in that respest.

Hope this helps some....

Well just got off the phone with atomic and they shed some light on the situation for me.

The m1 and b2 have the same internals so they will breath the same. They are made with diffrent metals wich allow the m1 to be nitrox and air ready at the same time. The b2 is nitrox compatable to 40% and has to be switched back and forth from air to nitrox. They both offer cold weather diving. THe b2 has the swivel hose The both come enviromentally sealed. Hope this helps.

one more ?
What exactly is enviromentally sealed. Are they referring to the second stage or the first.

uscgrescueswimmer:
What exactly is enviromentally sealed. Are they referring to the second stage or the first.

They are talking about the first stage. There is usually vents in the first stage to allow the ambient pressure of the water to control the release of the first stage and matches the inside air pressure leaving the tank to the ambient pressure of the surrounding water. I environmentally sealed first stage does not allow water to enter these vents. Instead it is filled with a special grease and sealed with a rubber seal. The grease transfers the water pressure to the first stage.

Environmentally sealed first stage is usually used in cold water application, but is also used by those who dives in dirty ditch water.

I hope this helps.

That special grease is christolube. You will see it oozing out of the ports on the first stage the first few times you pressurize it up.

Good descriptions of the regs. I dive a m1 and a z1 octo. I really like the m1 but have removed the swivel and don't have the heat sinks. I still dive this reg down into the low 40's and have never had a freeflow or a problem. I dive my m1 second stage on a 7 foot hose, hense the removal of the swivel and the heat sinks. The swivel is actually pretty nice. It's sturdy enough to stay in place, but still has enough give to allow for a more relaxed fit. It also seems like a pretty solid design after dismantling my swivel.

I don't think you can go wrong regardless of if you choose the M1 or the B2. I have taken some pulls off a B2 at depth while running drills, and can concur that it seems to be just as nice as the m1.

Matt

I think whether you go with the M1 or B2 really depends on what type of diving you plan to do. They're both great regs but intended for different applications. I own the B2 and really like it. I haven't had a chance to breath the M1 but I would expect them to breath nearly the same, if not the exact same. I have had the B2 down >130 ft and it breathed very nicely. Simply a great reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom