Atomic frameless mask, is it out yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775:
If more folks were aware of the SP Frameless clones they could save some money. The PROMATE Frameless is a faithful copy, very comfortable. The mask strap is similar to Scubapro's but the Promate buckle has a swivel joint. Cost $30 on EBay. Very nice mask. Beat that, Atomic.
All I can suggest is, reserve your opinion until you put one of the new Atomic masks on your face. I'm a tried-and-true sceptic about any new technology and/or "improved" product, and had that attitude when I stopped at the Atomic booth at the Florida Dive Show. I was blown away by the clarity of the glass, and the way the mask fit my face. All faces are not created equal, however, I have very deep "laugh lines" and it sealed beautifully. Can't wait to try one in the water.

pescador775:
If more folks were aware of the SP Frameless clones they could save some money. The PROMATE Frameless is a faithful copy, very comfortable. The mask strap is similar to Scubapro's but the Promate buckle has a swivel joint. Cost $30 on EBay. Very nice mask. Beat that, Atomic.

pescador775: Many/most of these masks come from the same OEM. Cost about $11.00 w/orders of 1000 or so. Very comfortable and popular.

mdb:
pescador775: Many/most of these masks come from the same OEM. Cost about $11.00 w/orders of 1000 or so. Very comfortable and popular.

I would agree with mdb on this but I would like to add that price isn't everything.

I went shopping today for a backup mask and I tried the Problue, the Oceanic and the scubapro frameless and even the frameless 2.

The old standard the frameless wins hands down but the Oceanic came a close second and was nearly 2X cheaper! I found the problue's nose pocket and overall skirt not suitable for my face and the frameless 2 had too narrow a skirt which could not seat well on my temple.

I own numerous masks and have tried countless others and what I found to work best for me (personal opinion here only):
1. Fit fit fit, hold your breath gently press the mask on your face and if it can't be knocked off easily, or sticks to your face it has passed the first test... less chance of leaks!
2. Must be able to pinch your nose to equalise.
3. Acceptable field of vision.
4. Have a relative low volume but that's not really necessary
PERSONAL OPINION ONLY,
Have a relatively rigid nose pocket as I found that masks with really soft skirts & soft nose pockets tend to leak on me the most. The worse kinds of mask for me are those which have shallow mask skirts around the nose region and very soft flexible skirts.
I personally prefer masks with rigid nose pockets like the Scubapro Frameless, Tusa M23, Mares X/Pure vision and Cressi Matrix/Lince.

Good luck in finding the perfect fitting mask.

SangP

SangP:
I would agree with mdb on this but I would like to add that price isn't everything.

I1. Fit fit fit, hold your breath gently press the mask on your face and if it can't be knocked off easily, or sticks to your face it has passed the first test... less chance of leaks!
2. Must be able to pinch your nose to equalise.
3. Acceptable field of vision.
4. Have a relative low volume but that's not really necessary
Good luck in finding the perfect fitting mask.

SangP

Good suggestions SangP you are correct price isn't everything. Your point #1 is most important.

mdb:
Good suggestions SangP you are correct price isn't everything. Your point #1 is most important.

:wink:

Hi mdb,

I only wished I could try out the Apollo Frameless to compare :D

Btw, are there any new products in the pipeline???

I own 2 bio fins and a Prestige Stowable Snorkel
I can't recommend them more as they are real quality products. Even the design of the snorkel is amazing, pivoting mouth piece, hinged quick release fastener, molded stubs to prevent the snorkel from sliding too much... etc etc.

Can't wait for new stuff from you guys.

Cheers,

SangP

FYI - ordered one from my LDS yesterday. Atomic indicated they would be available 3/1. Full retail is 89.99.

I'll be first in line to buy one at my LDS. I tried it at the S. Florida Dive Show. Incredible fit and optics.

Back
Top Bottom