Atomic B2 / M1 or ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like Atomic, get the Z series. Breathes the same as the other Atomic. If you find a used one Z/B/M1 for s good price that’s always a great option. Just calculate the appropriate about if money for a full service in.
Quote I got for service from Atomic last week on an M1 1st and second was $150 + 40 for the environmental chamber packing.

I called my LDS, $65 for the parts kit for each stage (so $130 for o-rings) and then $25 for each stage for labor, and $50 for Christolube. So all in for $230

Why do you refer to the Z2 as an entry level reg? It breathes exactly the same as the other ones. I do like Atomic and have one but the argument to spend the additional dough to get they Titanium version because it’s easier to carry in your backpack on the plane? Really?

Because the Z2 is the least expensive of the line. It doesn't have a 2nd stage swivel, it doesn't have a LP port swivel on the 1st stage, and it has the least amount of titanium which requires a little more care (ie rinsing) after use. We use the Z2 as a rental, most of our customers and students who use them opt for the Z3 to get the swivel hose.

you base them being the best regulator made and the Z2 being "way better off" than more expensive regulators on what grounds?
Per Atomic, the spec says they all breathe the same because they're all the same design. It does have 3 years, but it's still the same dive interval. The sealing also costs horrific amounts of money when you look at it because the lube is not cheap. Makes it at least $25 more at service than unsealed regs.

the environmental seal on the first stage is optional on Z series

I called my LDS, $65 for the parts kit for each stage (so $130 for o-rings) and then $25 for each stage for labor, and $50 for Christolube. So all in for $230

I would shop around. Our price for the 1st stage kit is $29, 2nd stage kit $27 and that includes the swivel hose overhaul kit. $25/stage labor. Prices vary from dealer to dealer. Customers can ship their reg down for service then fly down and dive.

Because the Z2 is the least expensive of the line. It doesn't have a 2nd stage swivel, it doesn't have a LP port swivel on the 1st stage, and it has the least amount of titanium which requires a little more care (ie rinsing) after use.

It is this weird used car guy “logic” that drives me to make future purchases at places like Deep6.

Out of curiosity: so the more expensive regs do not require any rinsing at all?

"Expensive reg" doesn't need rinsing?

Not the first stage. My sealed (sorry @tbone1004 ) T2x and T3 don't even "need" an external rinse. The salt can crystallize but it doesn't turn green. It just looks lousy.

Second stage, different matter as I hope we all know.

But to answer your question, (and troll just a little :wink:), the expensive first stages don't even need rinsing! That's titanium for ya!

No titanium, or unsealed even if you DO use titanium? Completely different matter, as I've ranted in other threads.

Hey I just picked up 2 used atomic aquatics b2 regulators and one seems to work perfectly. The second however the regulator first stage knob is stuck with the dust cap still in place, it seems like it could be due to salt corrosion. Is it ok to soak the first stage in water with the dust cap still (very firmly) attached to the reg, or should I just try to muscle it off as best I can?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom