Atomic B2 / M1 or ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if those Atomic hoses are designed to be serviced.... I haven't ever bothered to pay that much attention to them to see what design they chose for it.

Then off to do a Google search I go.

You can rebuild the atomic swivel but if the hose leaks you need a new swivel hose and can't re-use the swivel.

The atomic jam nut can be found for only $14.

$80 omni swivel on a 7' long hose is overkill for a new OW diver. Just try a cheap swivel on a 22-32" hose first. The seacure mouthpiece is maybe worth a try too. Also, braided hoses are more flexible than rubber and can help as well.

FYI, I sell a lot of used gear, both Atomic and ScubaPro. You can check my posts in the classified or PM me any questions.

Last edited:
@guruboy I wasn't lobbying for the omni over the cheaper alternatives, more just saying that the cost of the omni+a regular hose was cheaper than the atomic hose itself which leaves no sense in buying the Atomic hose to begin with.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the shorter hoses vs. the 7' for jaw fatigue

For an OW Rec diver with 11 dives, 7' long hose is definitely not what I would suggest. A $5 mouthpiece and some more dives might be all he needs.

I don't know if those Atomic hoses are designed to be serviced.... I haven't ever bothered to pay that much attention to them to see what design they chose for it.

The swivel hoses are meant to be serviced. The newer service kits actually include the various parts for the hose. There is also a specific kit to service the hoses. Servicing is pretty easy.

For the OP, a shameless plug I just rebuilt a B2 and have it listed in the classified section. It has as new std. hose and you can have your choice of a color kit which includes the Atomic comfort bite mouth piece.

Without a doubt you want to go with the Atomic B2 or the Z3, both of which have a second stage swivel. The Z3 is a bit less expensive due to the use of Zirconium (thus the Z) vs the the all titanium 2nd stage B2.
The swivels are rebuildable, parts for this are now included at no extra charge with the overhaul kit. The Atomic swivel hoses are very durable and hold up well. If they ever need to be replaced they are affordable.
Disclaimer, we are an Authorized Atomic Dealer. PM me if you are interested in some prices and repair costs to help you make a decision.
Our rental department is now 100% atomic 1st and primary 2nd stages (Z2) due to their reliability and serviceability. They are the best breathing and best performing regulators in my opinion. I tear them down and rebuild the rental regs and despite the abuse they take we have never had to replace any metal internal parts, just O-rings and seats which are contained in the overhaul kits.
Larry

Last edited:
I tear them down and rebuild the rental regs and despite the abuse they take we have never had to replace any internal parts except for O-rings.
Don't you have to replace the HP and LP seats as part of service?

Don't you have to replace the HP and LP seats as part of service?
Yes, thanks for the clarification. We change out whatever is in the parts kit, all soft parts like O-rings and seats. Haven't had any hard part failures. I edited the original post.

Last edited:
I have two T3's, one is mine and the other my son uses. My question is, if the Atomic swivel does not go bad then how is cheaper better??? Not that some others are not fine regulators, but Atomic makes extremely very good regulators. I totally understand that you have to buy what you can, but if there is one thing you probably don't want to skimp on or take the cheap way to save money its your reg.
I too had trouble with jaw fatigue. I found that the very light weight of the T3 and it's somewhat smaller mouthpiece {I get that this is easy to change} coupled with the swivel hose absolutely did the trick.
As far as "if the proprietary swivel hose" goes bad....I'd rather stay in the boat than dive some other reg. One other thing I would suggest, if you were having the jaw pain issue without a hood, make sure you dive with a hood to see if it comes back. I did many dives with my set up once I got it right and then it turned cold and I had to get a hood. The one I received was tighter or smaller in size than the one I tried at the LDS. I had to go a size up to get the jaw thing to go away again. All that said, it could be that you are having a different "jaw issue" than me. Might want to try some Atomic regs {if at all possible} before you flop down that kind of cabbage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom