Atomic B2 / M1 or ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unwantedsn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I’m a new diver with just 11 dives under my belt, but I’m looking at getting my 1st reg. During my certification I used a SP G260 with a MK25 and liked it, however it always seemed like I had jaw fatigue. During one of my certification dives the AI Computer had a failing battery so my instructor switched me to one of his backup Atomic B2’s that he had. I loved it! It seemed like my air consumption went down, and the jaw fatigue was gone. I went to my local LDS to look at some regs and they were pushing me towards the Atomic T2/T3 but that is way too expensive for the amount of diving that I will be doing. They also mentioned that if I want to go cheaper I can look at some SP or even AquaLung to keep the price down.

I started to look into maybe a used Atomic reg and have noticed that some of M1’s on the market seem to be cheaper than the B2’s. I realize that this will be based on age / abuse etc. but I can’t seem to wrap my head around the significant savings. Any clue as to why this might be?

Also, since I seem to be partial to Atomic, can someone suggest a reg in the SP lineup that would be close to the b2? I might just go SP and put a comfort swivel on one if there is a better price break.

Thanks for reading.

mk25/s600 will be similar to the B2, but you do NOT want to pay extra for Atomic's swivel hose. It is very nice, but that hose is proprietary and horrifically expensive. If it fails, you also need to have a nut that does not come with the regulator to put a normal hose on there if you can't find another swivel. Much better to get a standalone swivel that can be used with any hose or regulator.

As a long time sufferer of TMJ, I am well familiar with your jaw fatigue problems. What I have found is that the actual second stage isn't nearly as much of a factor as the mouthpiece and the hose routing.
For me, the answer is the Apeks Comfobite, and a 7' hose with an omniswivel. The 7' hose allows you to put the hose behind your neck so your neck takes quite a bit of the weight, the omniswivel allows you to position the regulator in the exact position that allows you the least stress to your jaw, and the mouthpiece removes the requirement to bite on anything since it grips your top teeth for you.

mk25/s600 will be similar to the B2, but you do NOT want to pay extra for Atomic's swivel hose. It is very nice, but that hose is proprietary and horrifically expensive. If it fails, you also need to have a nut that does not come with the regulator to put a normal hose on there if you can't find another swivel. Much better to get a standalone swivel that can be used with any hose or regulator.....

Thanks tbone, I've been wondering about this myself lately. I suspected the swivel was largely an un-necessarry,expensive, potential weak-link.

Another option for a mouthpiece is made by Seacure. You can mold it to your actual bite. I have them on all my regs and would never dive without them. Even on hour long dives I never get any sort of jaw fatigue.

Thanks tbone, I've been wondering about this myself lately. I suspected the swivel was largely an un-necessarry,expensive, potential weak-link.

I wouldn't worry about the potential weak link, the problem I have with the Atomic swivel is that the hose costs $110. An Omniswivel that is rebuildable, and doesn't require a proprietary hose is $82 if you go the expensive route, the Cave Adventurers versions are $25. A normal hose is $20. So for $8 less than the Atomic proprietary thing, you get a more flexible solution.
IF the Atomic hose breaks and you don't want to pony up for a new one, you have to buy the $25 jam nut to allow a normal hose to go on there. That's a bit ridiculous in my opinion so I'd just get the cheaper/better solution to begin with.

I have swivels on most all of my regulators. My FFM doesn't, and my doubles set does not either *but that is only because I have a stockpile of Poseidon hoses that I'm trying to wear out and unfortunately failing. When they do, they will get adapters with swivels*. The swivels to me are such a huge benefit in comfort that they are worth whatever potential failure exists in them. I just rebuild them once a year since they do take quite a bit more o-ring abuse than most things we deal with

I just rebuild them once a year since they do take quite a bit more o-ring abuse than most things we deal with

How involved is that process?

How involved is that process?

comparable to a valve rebuild? just a few o-rings. Much easier with the bar that they sell to hold everything, but possible without it. The key is using blue loc-tite 242 like we had to with the Sherwood manifolds which prevents the halves from separating. Unfortunately many fail to do that and that is what causes them to separate.

Ok, so I’m a new diver with just 11 dives under my belt, but I’m looking at getting my 1st reg. During my certification I used a SP G260 with a MK25 and liked it, however it always seemed like I had jaw fatigue. During one of my certification dives the AI Computer had a failing battery so my instructor switched me to one of his backup Atomic B2’s that he had. I loved it! It seemed like my air consumption went down, and the jaw fatigue was gone. I went to my local LDS to look at some regs and they were pushing me towards the Atomic T2/T3 but that is way too expensive for the amount of diving that I will be doing. They also mentioned that if I want to go cheaper I can look at some SP or even AquaLung to keep the price down.

I started to look into maybe a used Atomic reg and have noticed that some of M1’s on the market seem to be cheaper than the B2’s. I realize that this will be based on age / abuse etc. but I can’t seem to wrap my head around the significant savings. Any clue as to why this might be?

Also, since I seem to be partial to Atomic, can someone suggest a reg in the SP lineup that would be close to the b2? I might just go SP and put a comfort swivel on one if there is a better price break.

Thanks for reading.
If you like Atomic, get the Z series. Breathes the same as the other Atomic. If you find a used one Z/B/M1 for s good price that’s always a great option. Just calculate the appropriate about if money for a full service in.

I guess I had never thought about rebuilding the comfort swivel on my Atomic. It's working fine but maybe the next time I send them off for service I'll have them do the swivel as well.

I guess I had never thought about rebuilding the comfort swivel on my Atomic. It's working fine but maybe the next time I send them off for service I'll have them do the swivel as well.

I don't know if those Atomic hoses are designed to be serviced.... I haven't ever bothered to pay that much attention to them to see what design they chose for it.

Back
Top Bottom