Atomic Aquatics to Launch a new product (Regulator) on June 3rd....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$2,249.99 I'll have to wait 20 years and buy it vintage
What are those folks at Atomic thinking?

This is hilarious. And claims for unprecedented performance in the second stage with no data to support it.

So business as usual LOL.

What are those folks at Atomic thinking?

This is hilarious. And claims for unprecedented performance in the second stage with no data to support it.

So business as usual LOL.
Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt on "no data" until it is released tomorrow? :wink: Then you can let them have it if they don't deliver the goods ...

But yea, north of $2K is Nucking Futz, unless it is a "Reg with Benefits" or something - that would at least be unique.

Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt on "no data" until it is released tomorrow? :wink: Then you can let them have it if they don't deliver the goods ...
They could easily give the specs of how their second stage is better than that of competitors. Maybe they will give it tomorrow, but if there are claims that it outperforms other 2nd stages, they should be able to clearly prove this. I know some people on SB like to pull claims out of their backsides, but let's have some reality. If you say something is better or worse, you should be able to quantify how, not just say "it just is" (which unfortunately is all too common with a few people).
But yea, north of $2K is Nucking Futz, unless it is a "Reg with Benefits" or something - that would at least be unique.
Yeah, I can already hear someone saying "well if you are too poor...", though it will be muffled by their bubbles as I dive on my rebreather. Given that I spend $95,000 USD on a Newton Labs PL3200UW-LW laser scanner recently, if something merits the expense, I can afford it. But the higher costs has to be justified. I don't spend my money stupidly.

It needs to come with a crab that will sing songs from The Little Mermaid for that price.

Or I need to win the lottery. Either one.

Atomic thinks way to highly of themselves and their products…that price is stupid.

Well, the number of pre-orders is amazing across the world. It is a "flagship" model and not for everyone. The number of people pre-ordering it is very large considering the price. It is probably very premature to comment without seeing the performance data and actually diving the regulator. What I know from presentations and information and all of the technical details of the design and performance I have personally seen and read, it is in a different category from the rest. I can't wait to have my hands on one and diving it. If I can't afford to buy a whole set, I hope that they offer just the second stage Ă  la carte to make the acquisition a little easier.

P.S. You may think that they are stupid but they are the ones who designed it, manufactured it, selling it and making loads of money doing that but you aren't and have nothing to do with it.

Atomic thinks way to highly of themselves and their products…that price is stupid.
At some point or another, Atomic will release the new model in plebeian chromed brass with identical function, for those stuck in the nosebleed seats -- just like their vaunted swivel hoses, which I use, but which currently run something on the order of US 245.00 for the Ti model and about 125.00 for "poverty" brass.

Decades of CuZn have never failed me . . .

At some point or another, it will be released in plebeian chromed brass with identical function -- just like Atomic's vaunted swivel hoses, which currently charge on the order of US 245.00 for the Ti model and but 125.00 for "poverty" brass.

Perhaps at "some point" but not anytime soon I think. It will be a while if ever. I doubt very much that they will make the second stage any differently including using different material. Perhaps they will pair the same second stage as is with a brass first stage but it will still be expensive.

alright, so let me get this straight.

Deep6 can't take a design that Scubapro originally made with the 156, Apeks derived theirs from with some improvements, and then Deep6 did the same from Apeks and make it in a factory in Taiwan and that is a cheap abomination, but Atomic can take an old Scubapro design, make some improvements on it, and make it in Taiwan and all of a sudden it's worth over $2k?

Genuinely curious how that logic tracks. I'm not saying this isn't going to be an incredible regulator, I'm just curious how this one is OK to make an iterative design improvement off of another companies product and produce it in Taiwan but another isn't.

Back
Top Bottom