Atomic Aquatics splitfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imho split fins are good in the pool or in ideal ocean conditions, factor in strong current and your screwed. all around nothing beats the stiff jetfins.

I am using the Atomic Split. As mentioned, in calm condition, it is very easy kicking using this fin. But in strong current condition underwater and on the surface when you need to kick towards the dive boat or something, you do need stronger kicking which sometimes tired you out.

blues_diver:
I am using the Atomic Split. As mentioned, in calm condition, it is very easy kicking using this fin. But in strong current condition underwater and on the surface when you need to kick towards the dive boat or something, you do need stronger kicking which sometimes tired you out.

for short, only ideal in a controlled environment.

Spoon:
imho split fins are good in the pool or in ideal ocean conditions, factor in strong current and your screwed. all around nothing beats the stiff jetfins.

Wow... I've heard this so many times that I wrote a whole page on the subject:

Do Split fins work in a current

click on that for the whole articles... or the short version - in a current they work better than any other fin... just as they do in still water.

The only legit complaint against splits would be if you like doing some very strange kicking movement that for some reason won't work good with them... but flutter kicking, frog kicking... can't beat them.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for that info larry, I was really wondering about that whole debate. Its good to see both sides of this here. I'm trying to find someone close to here that has the apollos I can try out. No luck so far.

scubatoys:
Wow... I've heard this so many times that I wrote a whole page on the subject:

Do Split fins work in a current

click on that for the whole articles... or the short version - in a current they work better than any other fin... just as they do in still water.

The only legit complaint against splits would be if you like doing some very strange kicking movement that for some reason won't work good with them... but flutter kicking, frog kicking... can't beat them.

Hi

Just want to clarify myself. When I said my Atomic split does not seems to work too well in the current, I am comparing that against my friend Scubapro Twinjet.

We dives together a few times, some time in medium to strong current. When I asked her how did her Twinjet felt in the current, she said is pretty alright whereas I seems to need a lot more energy. Too bad my leg cannot fit into the Twinjet. Or else, I might have change my fins :wink: or maybe my kicking style is wrong?? :06:

I also did tried out another friend Bio-Fin. It felt alright although I have never tried it in a current. It is much lighter compared to the Atomic Split though

Cheers

Larry,

So, if you're swimming at the speed of light using Bio Fins (with the current), and you turn on you eLED C8, will you be able to see the fish?

I have a pair of Atomic Splits and a pair of Scubapro Twinjet splits. My comparison between the two is that the Atomic is like a race car that accelerates fast and gets up to a high top speed. The Twinjets are more like the diesel pickup which is designed for pushing a big load. In nice warm conditions when I have little gear on I prefer my Atomic fins. When I am diving cold and or deep with much more gear I feel like the Twinjets work better.

As far as comfort is concerned the Atomic foot pocket is much more comfortable to me than the Twinjet.

Splits vs. non splits after a weekend of heavy diving my legs are never sore after using my splits. After a similar weekend in non splits my legs get very sore.

I have also did some testing with splits vs non splits doing timed down and backs in the pool. 25m down and 25 m back and I have found no fin to be significantly faster than the others. I tested Atomic Splits, Sherwood Splits, SP Jetfins, Twinjets, Aqualung Blades, US Divers Rockets and Mares Quattros. The big difference was I needed much more rest and had way more cramps after a run with the non splits. I do think the non splits are better for frog kicks and small subtle maneuvers than the splits.

Gillty

android:
Larry,

So, if you're swimming at the speed of light using Bio Fins (with the current), and you turn on you eLED C8, will you be able to see the fish?

With the HID, I know the answer... with the eLED... I'm not so sure, so I'll try it later this week and get back to you with a definitive answer.

the Atomic Splits against the ScubaPro TwinSpeeds. The Twinjets are a totally different critter. From my experience the Twinspeeds and Atomics are very close to the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom