Atomic Aquatics splitfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbones826

New
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a pair of splitfins. I've used the scubapro twin jets and they were okay. I have been reading alot of reviews and it seems that the Atomic Aquatics splitfins are getting some of the best. I was just wondering if anyone would reccomend them.

P.S. Feel free to trash them if you wish. Let me know what's up.

I’ve used them on a few dives (years ago diving near Sydney) and they were ok. They felt quite heavy and stiff at the time and I definitly prefer my Apollo Bio-fins as far a split fins go (I mostly use Jetfins now). The Atomic splits definitely felt closer to using a pair of conventional paddle fins than the Apollo Bio-fins—I guess it’s all down to your personal preference. IMHO, Bio-fins are much better; lighter, smaller, great for long distance and surface swimming.

I agree... We have the atomics, scubapro, bio's all by the pool for customers to check out and compare - and the Apollo Bio Fins win virtually every time.

Not that I have anything to compare them too (or much experiance) but I like mine, they provide forward thrust without much movement and seem not to be too stiff ... but I have the Liquid Blue ones that are a softer compound

DB

I do remember seeing alot of high reviews for the apollo bio fins. Thanks for your opinions and I will definately check them out.

I have tried other split fins, but haven't found any that I like better than my bio fins. I just purchased a second pair, the new firmer model with the spring strap. Most of my dive buddies also prefer bio's.

Go with the bio's if you're going with split fins. Pro's or XT's will be your call. But definitely get the spring straps.

I have the Atomics. They are a good fin and the top portion of the toe pockets on mine are open. This helps with drainage and doesn't bother my feet. The fins are powerful and you can kick all day and not get tired. My comparison fins are my Jets (for DIR class) and my Cressi Garas for free diving. My fins also have a quick release buckle on the side that stick out. I do get a fair amount of kelp and eel grass hanging on these buckles diving in CA................this is something to consider unless there is a heel spring made to fit the Atomics.............I'm not too sure?

Anyway.......does your local shop have a pool?? Maybe you could take them for a spin before buying? I paid $150 for mine last April, so you may want to try before you buy?

Good luck.

I've had my atomic splits for over a year now and absolutely love them. I also tried the apollos and hated them. If you have to swim against a current for any length of time I think you will find the atomics much more amenable to the task. The aplools were far to plyable for me. I also feel they give me much better thrust than the apollos. However, as you can see from this thread the apollos have their fans. I recommend you try both before buying so you can decide for youself.

While I have tries most types of fins out there, For twenty years I used jet fins, and I still find them best for current or anytime I really want power. My wife however, did not like hers, and the more I did photo dives the heavy Jets were not the answer. I use my Atomics now for about 75% of my dives, to get the most out of them you need to use a proper style of kicking which is less knee, and shorter vertical movement. The result is it appears i am barely moving my legs but I move along at a normal pace. I have been really happy with the company, I've had two things happen that I reported, in both cases, a fedex package arrived the next day with a replacement. They only asked that I return the original so that they could determine the failure. Since the replacement (~200 dives ago) I've not had a reason to complain. One nice thing about splits is using one leg to rotate and help keep photo shots set up.

The downside is if you dive currents or want to do towing ( like a big video rig) they require rapid movement of the legs to get the thrust, that does not work for me, and would prefer the stiff jets where a wider kick achieves the speed. Atomics are also long, and just barely fit some of the travel cases.

One odd note, I tried using free diving fins while diving warm water, and found those to be superior in thrust to my jets. However, those are not practical for my photo.

my $ 0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom