Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The interface is standards compliant USB, so it communicates both ways. It's used for both downloading dive log data and updating the firmware. The computer comes with an adapter and cable, which is all that is needed to connect via USB. I'm not sure what you mean by a test harness, but if you are asking if we are providing help in interfacing with third party desktop or dive log applications, the answer is yes, we are encouraging it.

A test harness is usually a stub program that can be run on a computer without connecting to the actual dive computer. It returns results to a test application as if the computer was actually connected to a Cobalt. A test harness would simulate the maximums and minimums of a Cobalt so devs can test virtually every possibility without actually having to make each dive and every scenario.

I use cold shrink tape on my miflex HP hoses to attach bolt snaps and the like. It works great and allows attachment pretty much anywhere along the hose.

Shrink Tape 1" x 10 ft. Black | Parts-Express.com

Another great option is Sugru which can be molded into just about anything:

Welcome | sugru | Hack Things Better

I have both materials and will be testing the best way to connect to my BC. This weekend is bolt snap/cold shrink tape just below the rubber boot. I will probably try my magnetic system as well but I worry it will throw off the compass.

A test harness is usually a stub program that can be run on a computer without connecting to the actual dive computer. It returns results to a test application as if the computer was actually connected to a Cobalt. A test harness would simulate the maximums and minimums of a Cobalt so devs can test virtually every possibility without actually having to make each dive and every scenario.

No, we haven't done anything of that nature. We are supportive of, but not actually involved in the production of, desktop download software- we have our hands full on the embedded side. It's possible that Jef at Libdivecomputer libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers. has written something of that nature, he is writing open source drivers for the Cobalt now. It is possible to simulate dives on the Cobalt quite easily, and those saved files can be used to test download software.

RonR,
Any update on the software? I am a mac user and am hoping to have my new Cobalt next week.

RonR,
Any update on the software? I am a mac user and am hoping to have my new Cobalt next week.
As I understand they have the drivers are working, which opens the door for Mac Dive to integrate the Cobalt. I'll try to get an update. Atomic was hoping to post the Windows software this week- it doesn't look like that will happen, but maybe next week?

As I understand they have the drivers are working, which opens the door for Mac Dive to integrate the Cobalt. I'll try to get an update. Atomic was hoping to post the Windows software this week- it doesn't look like that will happen, but maybe next week?

Have stopped holding my breath.........................

Thanks Ron. I hope so.
Can you also speed up the delivery to my LDS!!?? lol It was supposed to be in last week, but I still haven't received it.

Ron,

Just looked at the Atomic site and I'm still waiting for the blockbuster movie called Cobalt Software to come to the big screen. 2 weeks, 4 weeks what gives. Also some of the thread talks about firmware updates, I guess those are coming soon too?As an instructor, I need to be able to track and print out dives. On a good note, it does look good on my T2.

It is completely possible that this is a user error (that being me lol) but my compass on the cobalt seems to be consistently 80-90 degrees off. I have calibrated it countless times, both stationary and mobile and nothing seems to work. I have even tried calibrating it at different angles (i was desparate) to no avail. Upon calibration it is usually 90 degrees or so off and does not change bearing at times. Is this a known issue or am I possibly doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is completely possible that this is a user error (that being me lol) but my compass on the cobalt seems to be consistently 80-90 degrees off. I have calibrated it countless times, both stationary and mobile and nothing seems to work. I have even tried calibrating it at different angles (i was desparate) to no avail. Upon calibration it is usually 90 degrees or so off and does not change bearing at times. Is this a known issue or am I possibly doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd have to suspect from what you describe either an error in the six point calibration that is done at the factory or a failure of the compass chip. PM me and I'll help to work out with you whether it is something you can address or if we need to send it back to Atomic.
Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom