Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used my Cobalt today in the sea in Uk and it performed excellently. Even though the vis was pretty bad i still had no problems reading the display. I played a little with the compass and it seemed fine, i only ever use it for basic direction but it performs well and is very sensitive to changes in direction, once i get the software ill be a truly happy man! I must admit i am a little disappointed with the provided screen protectors, mine are forever getting air under them and coming loose, perhaps ill just have to do without and hope the screen is pretty robust.

Hey Ron - Don't want to hijack the thread but since it is about the Cobalt, a question about the quick disconnect. Can the computer be changed from one regulator to another at a gas switch underwater with out water damage? :confused:

Hey Ron - Don't want to hijack the thread but since it is about the Cobalt, a question about the quick disconnect. Can the computer be changed from one regulator to another at a gas switch underwater with out water damage? :confused:
Nothing would be damaged on the Cobalt, but you would have to turn off the tank valve in order to disconnect or connect the QD fitting.

Makes sense considering the HP line. I was mostly interested about the affect water pentration might have.

BTW I've been waiting since then beginning of the month - Any idea when product will start shipping again? How about the software? Comming soon has gotten tooo old. :shakehead:

I had to pay for my unit when I ordered it. $1200.00 even at todays interest rates would have been better left in the bank. :depressed:

I am not angry just anxious. I have read so many good things I want my chance to play! :wink:

Please tell me that to set it for EAN 32 you have intuitive menus with real words and simply programming that can be done without a manual, and that you don't, for example, need to:

Hold down buttons 2 & 3 of 3 for a set # of seconds, then get some mode represented by a weird abbreviation, then hit a particular button a # of times to cycle through different modes, then hit the other button to get into the mode to set gas...

Make it idiot-class easy. Did they do that?

Richard.

Sorry Richard,
I just set my Cobalt to an EAN32 on the first try in 19 key strokes (including 5 to reverse) without touching the user manual and only gettiing in my own way( this does include all key strokes) (I still only use air... this was a first exercise for me). Try one in your LDS and still feel this is just a ruse. Atomic has brought technical info to the most basic of the rest of us... in a manner ANYONE has a chance to understand.

Joel

BTW I've been waiting since then beginning of the month - Any idea when product will start shipping again? How about the software? Comming soon has gotten tooo old. :shakehead:

I had to pay for my unit when I ordered it. $1200.00 even at todays interest rates would have been better left in the bank. :depressed:

I am not angry just anxious. I have read so many good things I want my chance to play! :wink:

Apparently they were short of HP hoses for a bit, but are shipping again this week.
I'm afraid I am no help re. the download software- the developer is supposed to have the fixes done in days, but as you say, that has been the case for quite a while. It's a good thing scuba divers don't hold their breath.

Some updates regarding my review of the Cobalt:

1. Warning/alarm sounds are terrifying too low. Utterly worthless underwater. Almost a deal breaker. Is there a way to adjust this?? Couldn't find a setting for them other than ON, OFF, or ON but Silent. Given that is has a large lithium-ion battery (advertised to be just like the ones in smart phones), the ability to vibrate seems a good idea as well (and would be inexpensive).

My prior DC was a Mares Nemo Air...100% different in regards to alarm sounds underwater...Mares Nemo is too loud (if there is such a thing...can be heard by other divers 30 yards away..which is a good thing actually). With the Cobalt, had to get out of the water to hear anything OR put it right next to my ear underwater to hear it. On the surface, it is still hard to hear. Dive crew turned off my air and then it started beeping (presumably because it did not realize the dive was over and thought I had instantly run out of air..would not shut off for several seconds, no way to manually shut off the alarm, and happened each and every time..annoying to say the least)....BUT, it was STILL hard to hear and initially we were searching around and looking at other computers. Had to put the Cobalt to our ears to verify that is was the one beeping. I can't enough say how much this disappointed me and was a bit embarrassing. I would assume this is a simple firmware update issue. I may actually return it if this doesn't get addressed quickly. After all, I buy a DC for things only a DC can do (and alarms are near the top of my list).

2. Screen is great. Screen protectors need improvement as I noted earlier. Basically, it is highly silly to diminish an excellent screen with a $2 protector...a protector should protect and not take away from the view. It should have a neutral effect..or at least a very low impact to screen appearance. Still, not a show-stopper and very visible underwater.

3. Provided clip: worked OK once I pulled it up tight against the quick-disconnect hose end. Again, why am I doing this for a computer that costs 2 to 3 times as much as other excellent DCs?? And the solution is sooo simple: Atomic could improve the clip by doing away with those hose strap/clip thing and just adding a molded-in clip-hole into the base of the unit like Mares Nemo Air does...that would look good, work perfectly, and be super inexpensive to have done right the first time. I read how some other folks are rigging their own rubber-bands or something to make a usable clip. On a $1200 DC? Sorry, but, that is silly out of the gate that Atomic would not address this in round 1 of the designs. Gotta clip the thing easily to my BCD. A nice screen is of little advantage if the DC drags on coral (and breaks or scratches) or is not easily reachable.

So, a bit harsh here but I think anyone buying this DC should be aware of the odd shortcuts/eliminations taken on this very very expensive DC...and they are just a shame really because it would have been so easy to address all of them. And each of these shortcuts are things that EVERY diver will notice immediately upon real use.

...more thoughts later...

Last edited:
Point #1: I haven't dove my Cobalts yet. I'll admit I've got my audible alarms 'off', (alarms usually annoy the h*ll out of me and other divers anyway) I did pressurize one of my reg sets tonight (Atomic T2) and when I turned off the air, and bled the system pressure to 0 PSI, there were no audible OR visual alarms triggered as if I'd just instantaneously run out of air, so Ill be curious to see if I see any unwarranted visual alarms signaling I've just run out of air after a 'real' dive and depressurizing the system.

Point #2: the Atomic protectors suck...I've already got ZAGG screens on my units, not a federal case, I'm used to having to modify/upgrade/redesign scuba gear.....and I think scuba gear makers need to hire me as a consultant !

Point #3: BC clippy thingy...major suckage !!! ...the millisecond I saw it I thought WTF ??? !!! One glimpse at say, an Oceanic Pro Plus II, would have given Atomic the correct answer to how to design/include a proper DC attachment point. Luckily once again I invented my way out of yet another manufacturer shortcoming and 'fixed' my units....something I shouldn't have had to do on a $ 1200 computer in development for freakin' YEARS....story of my life!

I've installed $ 10 Blue Reef neoprene console covers that fit my Cobalts like a glove...Atomic can probably source them for $ 2 each from the same factory in Vietnam that Leisure Pro is probably using, whatever, again I did it MY way and solved another annoying shortcoming!

I haven't figured out how/where to get a special machined HP quick-disconnect closure fitting so I can seal the HP hose when the DC is removed from the reg.....again, Atomic needs to see how Oceanic does it if they need a clue what I'm talking about.

On my T2 reg, I did a instrument consistency test as follows:

SPG (read about) 2600 PSI
Cochran GEMINI AI wireless computer 2700 PSI
COBALT 2650 PSI

...so at least those devices are pretty consistent, thank goodness !

Karl

1. Warning/alarm sounds are terrifying too low. Utterly worthless underwater. Almost a deal breaker. Is there a way to adjust this?? Couldn't find a setting for them other than ON, OFF, or ON but Silent. Given that is has a large lithium-ion battery (advertised to be just like the ones in smart phones), the ability to vibrate seems a good idea as well (and would be inexpensive).

The audio alert volume is not an easy issue to address. We are working at offering variable frequencies, since individuals seem to hear various pitches at differing levels. Some have had no problem with the alert volume, some can barely hear it. The basic problem is that the piezo sounder is buried in a fairly massive case, made of material which is very strong but dampens sound quite effectively. If it were behind a thin plastic layer, as most other dive computer sounders are, it would be very loud- it's actually painful when the PCB is out of the case- the issue is unfortunately not solvable by upping the volume. It's more related to the case material and construction. I know that makes absolutely no difference- I just want you to know we are aware of it and working on ways to improve the audio. I'm on the electronic and software side of the development, but I know the case design issues are quite important as to user experience.
I'm not too sure what vibration would be like as an alert on a console- perhaps it would transmit through the water somewhat. Definitely under consideration for the wrist mount.

Dive crew turned off my air and then it started beeping (presumably because it did not realize the dive was over and thought I had instantly run out of air..would not shut off for several seconds, no way to manually shut off the alarm, and happened each and every time..annoying to say the least)....

The Cobalt waits two minutes to "end" a dive after you reach the surface (<3 feet)- if you descend again within the two minutes it is treated as a continuation of the previous dive, not a repetitive dive. This setting is defined by the algorithm. I'm guessing what was happening is that you got up to the surface and on the boat quickly enough that the Cobalt was still in the dive. At that point turning off the air would cause a low air pressure alert and probably an air time remaining alert (depending on how you had set the dive preferences for alerts). After two minutes turning off the air should not do anything with alerts.

So, a bit harsh here but I think anyone buying this DC should be aware of the odd shortcuts/eliminations taken on this very very expensive DC...and they are just a shame really because it would have been so easy to address all of them. And each of these shortcuts are things that EVERY diver will notice immediately upon real use.

...more thoughts later...
I don't have as much to do with the case design, but I think you have valid points. Zagg has been contacted about making a screen protector- they were actually Atomic's original first choice.
Rest assured the comments from SB are getting passed back to Atomic, and they are listening. I think one of the best ways we can improve products to to hear what users have to say.

Nice responses Ron, good to see consumer feedback being received well and taken back for review. I applaud you and the Atomic team.

Back
Top Bottom