Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for a Cobalt protector....anyone interested in a custom made, vintage wetsuit material, cobalt dive computer protector?

I have some old 3mm and 7mm wetsuits I mess around with making beer koozies and HID light socks. I could custom do up some Cobalt ones if anyone is interested :wink:

re. Akimbo
You present some very interesting ideas. They are going into my notebook, and bear further consideration. We did start out many years ago with a tank graphic showing full to empty, and a graphic representation of depth and stops and battery charge as well (very similar to what the Mares Icon does for depth). We found those to be less informative as a use of scarce screen real estate, particularly since it required the main numbers to be smaller. But it may be we could do better. It's certainly true that in some instances and for some data a pictorial representation can be grasped with less processing- those representations just tend to take up more room. The idea of providing a % remaining value has some gears turning. Thanks for the thoughts.
Ron

re. Akimbo
You present some very interesting ideas. They are going into my notebook, and bear further consideration. We did start out many years ago with a tank graphic showing full to empty, and a graphic representation of depth and stops and battery charge as well (very similar to what the Mares Icon does for depth). We found those to be less informative as a use of scarce screen real estate, particularly since it required the main numbers to be smaller. But it may be we could do better. It's certainly true that in some instances and for some data a pictorial representation can be grasped with less processing- those representations just tend to take up more room. The idea of providing a % remaining value has some gears turning. Thanks for the thoughts.
Ron

I guess the ultimate 'icon' display could be:

Attachments

• smiley-face.jpg
    smiley-face.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 182
As for a Cobalt protector....anyone interested in a custom made, vintage wetsuit material, cobalt dive computer protector?

I have some old 3mm and 7mm wetsuits I mess around with making beer koozies and HID light socks. I could custom do up some Cobalt ones if anyone is interested :wink:

Pictures?

Hi RonR,

AA has done a great job of stripping away things that are not essential to diving safely (for a recreational diver); and displaying those things that might be overlooked in a clear and concise way. The graphics are fantastic, and easy to read, even for this 48 year old who has to wear progressive glasses.

Being a newbie I am quite satisfied with almost all of the defaults. Not knowing what the Cobalt’s processor is capable of (capacity); I would think that once the firmware updating is released it might be possible to address many of the suggestions made throughout this thread by permitting the end user to alter some of the defaults. For me personally; the one I would like is an actual “altitude” (feet above sea level) read out and not just an atmospheric pressure (mbar) reading. As an Idaho diver everything I do locally is automatically considered altitude diving and all my logging to date has been in feet (not mbars).

Bottom line; I am quite content (ecstatic?) to use the Cobalt as my primary dive computer. However, if computer compatibility doesn't emerge in the next month or two, I will relinquish this instrument for one that has more complete support (side note: How can a company with this level of acceptance/respect, be so unreachable (other than you; thanks for taking the time). No email, no forum, and the only phone support (to my authorized dealer; not just little ol’ lowly me) is a generic "it will be out soon" (isn't that what you have been saying since October 2010?).

And last: Atomics’ first release doesn’t have to be perfect or all-inclusive. I know you would like it to be but, in software, its just not practical and I think most understand that. For certain, you don’t want to put something out that will get a diver hurt or injured, nor am I suggesting that. But, please, give us something.

...Bottom line; I am quite content (ecstatic?) to use the Cobalt as my primary dive computer. However, if computer compatibility doesn't emerge in the next month or two, I will relinquish this instrument for one that has more complete support (side note: How can a company with this level of acceptance/respect, be so unreachable (other than you; thanks for taking the time). No email, no forum, and the only phone support (to my authorized dealer; not just little ol’ lowly me) is a generic "it will be out soon" (isn't that what you have been saying since October 2010?)....
Thanks for the comments. The mBar reading is important for us to gauge sensor accuracy, but it would seem a simple matter to convert that to a rough altitude reading (can't account for weather related variations) in the dive log software. I talked with them yesterday about the software, and it does sound really close. The are relying on a third party developer, and it's been frustrating for everyone.

I sympathise with your difficulty in reaching Atomic, but in their defense, outside of actual production, they are a very small company- just a few people intensely focused on producing the best gear possible. I've thought of suggesting an Atomic forum on SB, I've worked on the sales and marketing side as well as design so I understand how important it is to have a trusted source of good information. I felt this was particularly important introducing the computer, so I took it upon myself to do what I could. I'll keep trying. :)

Posted on November 25th by our hero:

The dive log application will post on Atomic's web site in a couple of weeks for Windows, a couple of months (sigh) for Mac.

Sorry, Ron, couldn't resist. :wink:

I sympathise with your difficulty in reaching Atomic, but in their defense, outside of actual production, they are a very small company- just a few people intensely focused on producing the best gear possible. I've thought of suggesting an Atomic forum on SB, I've worked on the sales and marketing side as well as design so I understand how important it is to have a trusted source of good information. I felt this was particularly important introducing the computer, so I took it upon myself to do what I could. I'll keep trying. :)

Thank you for the speedy reply Ron. And thank you for reminding me that there are real people with limited resources on the other end. As someone who has 16 yeas retail experience I should know better. I will try to temper my Christmas morning impatience with a little more understanding and compassion. You truly do have a great product. I am just overly eager to see it in it's full glory. And again; thank you for seeing a void and taking it upon yourself to stp in and do all that you can do. That "above and beyond" is what creats customer loyalty in someone like me. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom