Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly hope so. Are you looking for the Windows or Mac version? As of last week there were supposed to be a few details still left to fix. When anything is available I will post here.

The windows version (Hopefully Windows 7 compatible)

I've used mine on 19 different dives thus far with no issues...untill this last Friday. It had been dry for a week when I went to power it on to pull off my recent dive info (since I can't synch it with a computer) and it would not power on... I was confused because it had been at 70ish percent batterpower 7 days prior and shouldn't have died on me. I plugged it in to the charger and it finally powered up on me but showed ZERO percent battery power. I chaulked it up to a fluke and proceeded to write down my dive info from a week ago. About 5 minutes into writting down my info the computer when dark (while still plugged in) and has yet to wake up... I tried dunking it in water to see if that would wake it up but no luck (I did not plug it in again till it was dry again). No luck. The LDS/authorized dealer is telling me Atomic wants the computers back if there are issues so they can disect and study them for the future.

The only thing I can think of is that my last 2 dives were shore dives (all previous dives using this computer had been from a boat). I washed/rinsed it well afterword and had no issues during the dive, is it possible SAND got in and fouled it up somehow? Seems strange this happened because I've not seen any other complaints about the cobalt yet. I had to dive this weekend using another computer and I REALLY missed my Cobalt...

My question is, anyone else have this issue yet? or am I "That Guy."

My question is, anyone else have this issue yet?
With as many Cobalts as we have out now, there have been a few failures, but not many. I've come across one other that sounds similar to yours.

One thing that has come up, that we probably need to put a notice on the charger for, is that leaving the charge adapter plugged in to the computer (wall charge side) without charging will drain the battery- the Cobalt won't go into full sleep. It doesn't sound like that was your issue, though.

Coming on after experiencing a dead battery a short while after you plug in the charger is normal, as is going to display sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity- however not waking up again is obviously not right. And we have to question why the battery went dead.

Having the battery go dead unexpectedly, being able to power up from the charger, but then having a total failure to come up would be consistent with getting a small amount of water into the battery compartment, resulting in a short circuit or corrosion. I can't really diagnose at a distance, which is why Atomic wants the computers back- to be definitive abut any problems. We actually had a commercial diver in our testing program do about 30 dives on a computer that had leaked into the battery compartment (because he removed the battery door and didn't get the O-ring back on proiperly:(), with no other symptom than a rapid loss of charge. I don't think your problem had anything to do with sand, or anything you did in a dive.

One additional question- when the computer came up after you plugged it into the charger, did it come up to the Set Time and Date screen?

Last edited:
One thing that has come up, that we probably need to put a notice on the charger for, is that leaving the charge adapter plugged in to the computer (wall charge side) without charging will drain the battery- the Cobalt won't go into full sleep. It doesn't sound like that was your issue, though.

Correct, it was not plugged in nor was the adapter left attached to the Cobalt during the seven days.

Coming on after experiencing a dead battery a short while after you plug in the charger is normal, as is going to display sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity

It wasn't inactive when it went dark, I was navigating back and forth between profile view and the stats.

We actually had a commercial diver in our testing program do about 30 dives on a computer that had leaked into the battery compartment (because he removed the battery door and didn't get the O-ring back on proiperly:)

Ya, I didn't touch the Cobalt battery door...I have a firm policy of not disessmbling expensive equipment still under warrenty. :)

Thanks for the response...I'm just sad I'm going to lose my dive data when they replace my Cobalt. I'm glad I was writting the key stuff down...

Aside from not providing a case for it, I am highly confused by why there is not an easy and direct way to link/latch/attach the Cobalt to a BCD. What is that same gap at the top of computer even for?? Perhaps we are supposed to use a soft strap and thread it through that small slit?? The computer itself has no hook or loop system. The provided HP hose does come with a movable loop and is the only way to attach the computer to the BCD. But, this loop on the hose moves very easily.

Also, the HP hose (as others noted here) should be about 4-6 inches longer.

Further, the screen protector (2 are provided) is not good. Marginal at best. It is all but impossible to get the screen protector from forming air pockets underneath the film and at getting all edges to lay flat. I am very adept at applying these types of screen protectors (yeas of smart phone experience). Bottom-line is that the screen protector obviously protects from scratches better than having nothing; but, using the screen protector also hinders the viewing of the screen...and the screen is the #1 selling point of this computer.

The power/USB adapter is also strange. It has two sides that look almost identical. You plug it into the Cobalt using one side if you want to charge via AC power. You flip it over and connect it to the Cobalt if you want to use the USB cable. never seen/head of such a thing. It is unfortunate that an adapter is even required...the AC power device is fairly standard and so is the USB..why muck that up with a 3rd proprietary piece (that is easy to lose and a hassle to replace)?

...lots of good things to say about the Cobalt (and people have already noted them), so I am just point out some quirks...

Aside from not providing a case for it, I am highly confused by why there is not an easy and direct way to link/latch/attach the Cobalt to a BCD. What is that same gap at the top of computer even for?? Perhaps we are supposed to use a soft strap and thread it through that small slit?? The computer itself has no hook or loop system. The provided HP hose does come with a movable loop and is the only way to attach the computer to the BCD. But, this loop on the hose moves very easily.
I think the slit at the top was intended either for a webbing strap or a split ring. Someone above said they had come up with a way to attach a SS clip- I'd love to see pictures. I'm sure Atomic would be open to suggestions as to better attachments. I know a big concern was to reduce the overall size to be as small as possible. Personally I'd rather see a good way to attach near the base of the hose.

Also, the HP hose (as others noted here) should be about 4-6 inches longer.
Seriously, about half the comments Atomic has received are that the hose is too short, about half that it's too long. Not surprising, since people come in many different sizes:D. I believe Atomic will at some point start offering a choice of sizes, both longer and shorter.

Further, the screen protector (2 are provided) is not good. Marginal at best. It is all but impossible to get the screen protector from forming air pockets underneath the film and at getting all edges to lay flat. I am very adept at applying these types of screen protectors (yeas of smart phone experience). Bottom-line is that the screen protector obviously protects from scratches better than having nothing; but, using the screen protector also hinders the viewing of the screen...and the screen is the #1 selling point of this computer.
I am a relative klutz at installing these things, and have managed to get them on amazingly cleanly with no bubbles- but only on a very clean screen. Zagg seems to have quite a following, we are working to get a Cobalt protector made by them.

The power/USB adapter is also strange. It has two sides that look almost identical. You plug it into the Cobalt using one side if you want to charge via AC power. You flip it over and connect it to the Cobalt if you want to use the USB cable. never seen/head of such a thing. It is unfortunate that an adapter is even required...the AC power device is fairly standard and so is the USB..why muck that up with a 3rd proprietary piece (that is easy to lose and a hassle to replace)?
The short answer is that the standard USB and AC receptacles are neither waterproof or made of materials durable enough to be exposed, so they would have to be housed behind a removable door of some sort- and sealed by an O-ring- a door that would have to be removed every time you wanted to access the charger or USB functions. The contacts on the Cobalt perform multiple functions, one of which is sensing the presence of water, so at least some need to be exposed. We felt that having an adapter was preferable to having a potential leak point (particularly since it would be opened and closed frequently, and would of necessity open directly to the electronics). We looked hard at using off the shelf connectors, but the size increase in the case required to accommodate them and the leak potential persuaded us the adapter was a stronger solution. All designs are compromise.
The reason the adapter has two sides is that USB charging is limited to 500 mA in order to protect the source electronics (your laptop, PC,etc.)- that's part of the USB standard. We wanted to provide a faster (1000 mA) charge capability with the wall adapter, but we have to make certain that you cannot plug in the AC adapter and also have the USB connected you your laptop or PC. The simplest way to do this was to electrically isolate the two sides of the adapter, so they are in fact two distinct adapters in one housing. It was also intended to provide a kind of "stand" to support the Cobalt when connected to a PC for downloads. The two sides have been confusing for some- we are looking at putting protection circuitry into the adapter so we could use a single set of sockets, so a redesign may come in the future on this. The two sides are pretty bulletproof from a protection standpoint, though.

...lots of good things to say about the Cobalt (and people have already noted them), so I am just point out some quirks...

7 Dives with the Cobalt. Impressions till now:

Pros

- Best diving logic. everything is where you need it. A+
- Usability underwater is just fantastic. Excellent instrument.

Cons

- Buttons feel a bit sluggish (especially the "back" button) on my unit.
- The textile attaching belt on the hose is useless. Need a way to attach it on a retractable
- Screenprotectors are questionable quality. Applied one and have a smudge corner from the supposedly peeling handler. I'm not the clumsy type of person. They could be better!
- No case?... c'mon Atomic...
- Where the heck is the software?

RonR (other comments welcome):

Looking at the Cobalt manual got me thinking. There are valid design arguments that favor some analog displays. Good examples are compass and fuel levels. The graphic value of analog pressure gauges are diminished by using a variety of pressure-rated cylinders, like 2250-3500 PSI or wider. This wide range is further complicated by widely ranging volume capacities. The Cobalt already knows the “full” pressure and cylinder volume. Have you considered a semi-analog display similar the battery status with percent full by volume? Even better would be to display usable volume — total compressed cylinder volume minus floodable volume (or -1 atmosphere from ATA) and about 140 PSI for IP pressure (where most balanced first stages breath dramatically harder).

Some people process visual scales more effectively than numeric, especially when they are narc’d. Remaining gas time is excellent, but requires more mental processing than a graphic scale. Another option might be a graphic full-empty indicator similar to a fuel gauge could display in place of the compass — maybe a three-way toggle like off, volume, compass?

Edit: Oops. I forgot to include compensating for current depth in the usable volume calculation. If you consider that 132’ is 5 ATA, you loose one atmosphere because you can’t pull a full vacuum on the tank, 4 ATM at 132’, and over 9 atmospheres because the regulator can’t deliver decent performance below the IP; that is minus 14 atmospheres or over 200 PSI less than a pressure gauge implies.

200 PSI may be within the resolution and precision tolerance of a Bourdon tube SPG, but not the Cobalt.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom