Atom 1 vs. Geo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WartedEmperor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Which should I get the Atom 1 or the Geo. I can get the Geo without the download kit for $200 or I can get an Atom 1 for $495 with the download kit and transmitter. It is pretty much a $195 difference because I would get the Geo with the download so that makes the Geo $300. Is the Atom 1 worth the $195 difference? Also which do you recommend?

LeisurePro has the Atom 1.0 on sale foe $449 until August 1st. That should make the question a little more interesting.
I would have said the Atom was worth the $200 extra.
If you really want to make the comparison add in the price of a pressure gauge to go with the Geo.

I already have a pressure and depth guage.Also what are some things one can do that the other can't?

Thanks for telling me about LeisurePro that even makes it better!!!

Last edited:
The Atom is significantly smaller, has full sports watch functionality w/ dual time zones. Monitors bottle pressure, shows dive time remaining with real time updating when used with the transmitter. Can be used to monitor 3 different bottles (using additional transmitters) This can be used to monitor your buddy but isn't the same as buddy monitoring which the Atom 2.0 and VT3 feature. Using it allows for removal of the spg and it's hose. Has both visual and audible alarms.

$200 is a very good price for a Geo. Who has it for that price?

I have an Atom 1 and I don't really like it for a couple of reasons particular to the way I dive. I have the transmitter, but I don't use it, so it's kind of a waste to have it. Once you have a few dives under your belt, you can always estimate your air pressure within a hundred or so PSI, so you only need to check it a couple of times on each dive. On shallow dives I don't even look at the thing half of the time. The other thing I don't like is that it doesn't display the dive time in seconds.

The last thing I don't like is that a safety stop timer automatically appears on the display in place of the dive time every time you ascend to 20 feet. There's probably a way to turn off this feature, but I haven't figured it out yet.

If you are interested in the Atom 1, I'd be willing to part with mine. It only has about 10 dives on it and I've never used the transmitter.

What do you mean it is not the same? How does it differ?

It isn't set up as buddy monitoring it is meant to be used as your own bottles with different mixtures and you'll have to buttons to press a few more buttons to use it as buddy monitoring.
The Atom 2.0 and the VT3 allow you to preset transmitters as buddy monitoring and quickly access the reading.

I could live with that easily. How many people do you actually think use the buddy check? It seems if you have to be 4 feet away that it would be alot easier just to grab his wrist and look at it instead of doing all that button mashing.

Make certain that you are pricing this years models. Many on-line retailers are selling last years stock at deep discounts. The $200 price for the Geo has me a bit concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom