Atoll with breeze and creature comforts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
plenty has been written here and I apologize if the regulars will feel they have said all they can on this subject.

We have up to two weeks to get away from Canadian winter. We would spend a week diving then head inland to experience Belize’ other wonders. I would like great reefs and interesting fish behaviour, wouldn’t a few nudibranchs be nice, for three dives a day. Mr T will not do liveaboards. Prefer not to ride an hour each way to dive sites, which would appear to rule out Hopkins and Placencia. On the other hand, I prefer not to eat conch at every meal. If there is no AC, there really have to be screened windows and a good breeze. And a week of cold showers or dipper baths would be too long.

Is there an atoll which offers fine diving as well as comfort? And if so, how much will a week set us back?

Since it will cost only about $Can400 more per person to fly to Manila rather than Belize City, I am thinking the alternative is Puerto Galera and South Leyte in the same time frame. And doing a Belize liveaboard with a friend some other time.

Your views?

FT:
Since it will cost only about $Can400 more per person to fly to Manila rather than Belize City, I am thinking the alternative is Puerto Galera and South Leyte in the same time frame. And doing a Belize liveaboard with a friend some other time.

Your views?

Not to rain on Belize in a Belize forum, but Philippines will be way more sabang for the buck. We went to Puerto Galera and Anilao this past March and was the best dive trip yet. Have you been diving in that part of the world? So incredibly many new colorful species to see and you might see more nudis on one dive than you'll see in a decade in the Caribbean. Leyte is logistically more involved but if that's your choice look into flying directly into Cebu. You can also visit Bohol and Dumaguete easily from Cebu. Wherever you go, count on 3 or more hours of shuttles and ferries (on top of 18 hours flying) as Philippines is a collection of 7000 islands. But once you get there, things are ridiculously cheap. We were on a group deal so individual rates might be a bit more, but we paid $100/day in Sabang that including a nice waterfront hotel, breakfast and lunch, 4 dives per day x 6 days, and nitrox.

That said, we enjoyed our Belize trip and will return. It is nice to have 4 hours logistics on the front and back end versus 24. And we value variety. Partly why our Asia-Pacific trip was so nice is all our experience had been in Caribbean. Others may have the reverse experience and consider the Caribbean a nice change in scenery.

FT:
plenty has been written here and I apologize if the regulars will feel they have said all they can on this subject.

We have up to two weeks to get away from Canadian winter. We would spend a week diving then head inland to experience Belize’ other wonders. I would like great reefs and interesting fish behaviour, wouldn’t a few nudibranchs be nice, for three dives a day. Mr T will not do liveaboards. Prefer not to ride an hour each way to dive sites, which would appear to rule out Hopkins and Placencia. On the other hand, I prefer not to eat conch at every meal. If there is no AC, there really have to be screened windows and a good breeze. And a week of cold showers or dipper baths would be too long.

Is there an atoll which offers fine diving as well as comfort? And if so, how much will a week set us back?

Belize is nice and it would be a good time of year to do inland stuff without melting. I've always done liveaboard for the diving but have considered doing Turneffe Island Resort, which some number of people on here have been to and might meet your needs (depending on why you don't like hour rides to sites - just because you don't want to do that everyday, because you will still have the transfer out to the atoll - but that's going to be true for pretty much any of the atoll or island resorts. Also one day they go to the Blue Hole instead of diving locally which is another long boat ride.) TIR sounds pretty nice, though I'd look for current reviews because things seem to change there from time to time. Don't know what your budget is. The inland part of your trip can be fairly inexpensive.

That said, if Philippines is on the table, I would always pick that first. That now and a Belize liveaboard later is a good plan.

Reactions: FT
Thanks very much folks! I will look at both Glover’s and Turneffe more closely: the price/quality ratio is more important than the price. Keep the ideas coming.

Philippines is where I learned to dive and Asia Divers would be Old Home Week, whilst South Leyte has been on my to-do list for some time. We will see how much Mr T values the inland Belize experience, which I know is on his to-do list, and keep pondering.

A couple of long boat rides are fine. You are right that I just don’t want to face them daily. Or twice daily.

We've enjoyed Off the Wall on Glovers a few times. The owner's/management on site are great people. It is a little more rustic, laid back, and more of an "eco" resort. Meals are family style in an open casita and the cabanas are not air conditioned or screened, but breeze is consistent and no bugs. The showers are solar and the toilet facilities are pit style composting in a common area. Diving is good and 5 minutes away.

We've been to Turneffe Island Resort 3 times and really enjoy it. The rooms are very nice, and air conditioned, and the food is also very, very good. Coffee service in the mornings delivered to your door. Dive sites are again about 5-10 minutes away, a good variety and includes a trip to the Blue hole, Half moon and Light house. The staff is excellent and we have nothing but good things to say about our stays there. If you are looking for creature comforts and great service, this is a good option.

Another shout out for TIR. We've stayed there a couple of times--the first time was before the name change from Turneffe Island Lodge so it's been a while--and really enjoyed it. Think summer camp for adults. Not much to do except dive, eat and relax in a tropical island paradise setting. Not luxurious so much as really first-class, if that makes sense.

You may want to check out Turneffe Flats, Blackbird Resort and Hatchet Caye. Same sort of thing, just different spots on the atoll. All are within spitting distance of dive sites. Technically, Hatchet Caye isn't on the atoll so the dive sites will be a little further away but not enough to make a real difference.

Thank you all so much! In the end, we decided against the long ride to the Phils this time and to explore a country we haven’t been to yet. So, two weeks in Belize it is, with a week at Off the Wall, at the end of March.

Kendra, Jim and staff make for a great experience, you will really enjoy Off the Wall. We want to get back there again soon. Too many places, so little time and $$.

FT:
Thank you all so much! In the end, we decided against the long ride to the Phils this time and to explore a country we haven’t been to yet. So, two weeks in Belize it is, with a week at Off the Wall, at the end of March.

You will not regret it. Great people (Jim and Kendra), great diving, fantastic incredibly relaxed vibe, idyllic setting.

Belize%20-%20Long%20Caye%20-%20Dec%202016%2082-XL.jpg

Belize%20-%20Long%20Caye%20-%20Dec%202016%2091-XL.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0059-XL.jpg
    DSC_0059-XL.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 92
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom