Athens Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone ever go there anymore?

Does anyone have any conditions reports from there? I have a 10 yo and exposure protection is an issue, figured that place would warm up the fastest.

I haven't been recently, but I probably will sometime in the not too distant future.

I went nine days ago.
Visibility was 10-15 feet and the water temp was about 72 on the surface, not much less below. There is no appreciable thermocline.
It was the first time for me and my buddy to dive there. I've heard about it for years, so we decided to check it out. What was amazing to me was how FEW divers there were. I think I saw six or eight (counting us) all day long. Therefore, we practically had the place to ourselves. While the grounds and building were clean and well groomed, the items underwater were in a bit of disarray. Certainly, it's fun to go through the plane, busses and such, but the platforms were rather run down and in disrepair. Couple that with no aquatic life, and things could get a bit boring in a hurry. While it looks like it could be a great place for training, it probably isn't too good for just recreational dives.

Guba:
I went nine days ago.
Visibility was 10-15 feet and the water temp was about 72 on the surface, not much less below. There is no appreciable thermocline.
It was the first time for me and my buddy to dive there. I've heard about it for years, so we decided to check it out. What was amazing to me was how FEW divers there were. I think I saw six or eight (counting us) all day long. Therefore, we practically had the place to ourselves. While the grounds and building were clean and well groomed, the items underwater were in a bit of disarray. Certainly, it's fun to go through the plane, busses and such, but the platforms were rather run down and in disrepair. Couple that with no aquatic life, and things could get a bit boring in a hurry. While it looks like it could be a great place for training, it probably isn't too good for just recreational dives.

I personally don't care for the place at all, but I need something shallow and warm for her until travis warms up.

I was out there with Guba. I think my computer registered ~70 degrees or so. To me, its comparable to CSSP. A place to with "decent" viz in Texas where you can get wet.

Has anybody checked on conditions in Huntsville? I think the place is called the "Blue Lagoon" or something....its been a couple years since I've been there.

Hey, Aaron
It was great to meet you and your group at Athens. David and I are headed for Huntsville within a couple of weeks, and it'll be an "exploratory" trip for us since we haven't been there before. It won't be this weekend, but most likely the next (19th). Ya'll interested? Hope to hear from you.
Bill

on a side note, since someone asked: I was at Blue Lagoon this past weekend helping an instructor w/ an OW class and temp was 74 F in Lagoon 2, but viz was about 4-5 ft. Of course, I think the OW class we had was, in large, responsible for the 4-5 ft viz.
All the recent rain has caused some run-off that's degraded viz as well, but the water is up and the deepest we found in Lagoon 2 was about 27 ft (if you were in the clay). Usually the depth is no more than about 23 ft.

Rick you might give thought to the small lake at Tyler State Park for you and the family....close/shallow/fish/plant life and a nice setting and I would think the water would be not to chilly.

Blue Lagoon is OK. Warms up quick. Not much to see. A couple of boats and the platforms, as well as some granite boulders. No life due to PH out of whack.

We considered Twin Lakes (south of Houston) to be an upgrade.

Viz does go down quick because the classes wade in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom