Athens Scuba Park Season Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PilotGimbal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
The Athens Scuba Park season pass for $50 deal was just posted on facebook this morning. I know that by the numbers it's a good deal, but I won't be doing my OW course until the spring, so I'm arguing with myself over whether I should buy it "because it's a good deal and I think I'll "need" it" or just wait and see if I even like diving in yucky Texas lakes enough to make it worth it. The deal is good through Christmas, so I'll keep arguing with myself for a while.

Anyone have much experience there? Would you recommend jumping on the season pass deal while it's available, or just wait and see?
$50 Season Pass @ Athens Scuba Park

Centuries ago, when I was going through the various steps on the way to instructor, I got the Season Pass to CSSP.

Best monetary investment I ever made, when you worked out the math. Saved a bunch over what I could have paid.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Some dive shops are very monogamous on where they go but others
go all kinds of places. Many have no fee. At this point you don't
know where you class will be. I wouldn't pay until I enter the park.

You can take your OW before next spring. Scuba Toys and
International Scuba (and possibly others) have heated indoor
pools. You get some instruction in a pool and travel to a warmer
place and complete the course. It's called a referral. Any dive
shop can fill you in on the details. I know Grapevine Scuba,
International Scuba, and DFW Scuba (and probably others I'm
not aware of) go to places like Balmorhea State Park and Comal
River where the spring fed water is in the 70s year round and
complete the course.

Years and years ago (1989) I did my OW certification dives at Balmorhea State Park. A LONG ASS drive from Dallas, but a nice place, and water temps are pretty uniform year around, about 70-72 degrees. And, being spring fed and only about 35 feet deep at the deepest point, no thermocline. I was comfortable in a 3 mil wetsuit. The alternative is to plan a tropical vacation to someplace like Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, or even Grand Cayman (if you are in an income bracket that can afford that - Grand Cayman is beautiful, and the diving is great, but everything about the island, lodging, food, diving, is expensive), do the classroom and pool work at a local dive shop, then get a referral to do the certification dives with a Dive Op while on vacation. I see lots of new divers doing that in Cozumel.

I'd looove to do that, but no way it's going to be in the budget for a long time. Balmorhea is on my to visit list (love the Davis Mtns area) but yeah, it's a good 7 hour drive. Both shops I'm seriously considering (due to their proximity to me) use CSSP for the OW dives.

A friend of mine owns a boat charter company in Cozumel, so that's most likely what I'll do when I can afford it...if I can convince my travel buddy (Mom) to go. She won't dive, nooo way, so I'll always have the extra expense of buying a buddy.

This is going to be an expensive hobby, haha. Good thing I graduate college (finally) in a year and will be making more money.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom