Athens Scuba Park Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lefty Writer youll love the cruises and those destinations are premier. Good luck and maybe we can run into each other one day down at Dallas

Thank you, sir!

I had to look up Broken Arrow, OK. I spent a few months in Lawton while at OBC at Ft. Sill back in the early 90's.

We will definitely post on here when we actually set a date for our trip up there. We have family in McKinney, so at least we won't have to worry about accommodations while at Athens or CSSP.

Have a good 'un!

I have been going to Athens for over 20 years. The picture of me in the water was taken at Athens Scuba Park. Calvin and Shannon make me feel so welcome when I am there. I have had the opportunity to dive, ride and help move some of the wrecks there. It is a great place to practice bouyancy and to test out your gear and different gear configurations before a big trip. It is nice because you have docks to enter and exit the water versus climbing up a rock ledge. It also is a nice place to come and hang out. There is always something going on. Calvin is an interesting person to talk to when it comes to treasure hunting and search and salvage. He is an expert at these things. He has a lot of neat things in his store from underwater metal detectors to full face masks and underwater communications equipment. Occasionally, he will have demos out in his pool and from time to time will have different manufacturers come out and let people try out gear. I love going there because it is only an hour and a half away and I always come back feeling nice and relaxed.

DITTO :D I couldn't have said it any better!
University Scuba uses Athens for our check out dives. Calvin and Shannon are Awesome!

We went out a week ago. Vis was @ 25ft. but it had rained/hailed the night before.
Every time a good time so far. We'll be back!! :cool2:

KO

Id take 80 degree water with 5 foot vis over 50 degree water with 15 foot anyday. I much rather dive comfortably then restrictive by far. Calvin has a personality that would make most any one feel welcome and Shannons devotion to the sport is equally as impressive. Thats one reason I do rank it as my favorite dive park!

LOL Every time I have been on the conquest I loved it :) Its a beautiful ship and equally as magnificant as her sister the Valor. I have done most of my diving off of the cruises as they are just so economical compared to the fly and stay. Only draw back to cruise diving is most fellow divers are not dedicated divers which alot of veteran divers dislike. I personally love the fact most divers who cruise are simply vacation divers and therefore are very attentive to what is said in dive brief and also I tend to get some very attractive dive partners too who when they learn of my experience level want to buddy up as they claim they are more comfortable with the experience. (Sadly not me LOL) but none the less its a blast. I also love the smaller ship there the Ecstasy (Hope its spelled right LOL) Both are awesome ships!

I do port out of Galveston a lot when I do go though as I can drive there in 7 to 10 hours depending on how big of a hurry I am in. I dont like to fly anymore because of all the hidden cost associated with it. I dont like to be quoted a ticket for (Example only) 150 dollars then pay 200 more because of baggage and 2 stale sandwiches plus 100 dollars more for a chair with leg room that if you dont pay you just stare at being empty. I believe more so in the up front this is your price with no hidden charges approach!

I went to Athens last October and it was a pretty decent dive. The vis was fairly good for the dives and swimming around the C130 was pretty nice. Wish it had some sort of map of POIs to help navigate from object to object, but overall I'd go back and dive it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom