At what point do you run a line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think you could come up with some ideas if you think about what the guideline is FOR. A guideline is for getting back out. So, when might you have problems getting back out? When visibility may be compromised, or when navigation is complex. A single channel, the end of which you can see, with a coarse sandy bottom, in high ambient light, is unlikely to be a situation where you are going to need a line to get back out.

A large wreck with multiple passageways, sitting in a low current area where silt accumulates, in murky water where ambient light is reduced, would be a classic place where a guideline should be run.

Here are some overheads I've done without a line:

Cathedral I, Lanai
0d43dae0.jpg

The Rhone, BVI
10c07450.jpg

Cozumel
0b320650.jpg

...Obviously, a lot of variables play into that, such as being able to see the exit, ability to turn around, yada, yada, yada....
My rule's pretty simple.
If
1) The entry and exit are two different points (may be the same hole if it's big enough that I never have to turn my back on it).
2) I can see the exit to open water from the entrance and for the entire time I'm "swimming through."
3) I can see the entire passage is big enough to swim through without any entanglement hazard.
4) The total distance from entry to surface is 130' or less.
Then
It's a swimthrough and doesn't require a line.
Otherwise, a continuous line to open water is required.
Before you contemplate even a "tiny" penetration into a room or cave with a single exit that's going to be behind you, or an exit you can't see before you enter, please read - and heed - the attached article.
Rick

Attachments

• Silt!.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 120
Why is this thread in the DIR forum?

Why should it not be?
I didn't know GUE ran a cavern course. As such the answer to the question is probably better addressed by other agencies, and people trained by them. However - because the question is in this forum, those answers aren't allowed.

Any cave needs a line. I'm not sure but I didn't think lines were dealt with in DIR-F.

Any cave needs a line. I'm not sure but I didn't think lines were dealt with in DIR-F.
Running lines are not covered until Cave 1 or Tech 1.

Running lines are not covered until Cave 1 or Tech 1.
That's what I thought, and I presume that then they become mandatory?

This question seems to me to be about caverns, and other overheads with natural light being the primary light source (wrecks for example). I've never heard of specific GUE training for that.

That's what I thought, and I presume that then they become mandatory?

This question seems to me to be about caverns, and other overheads with natural light being the primary light source (wrecks for example). I've never heard of specific GUE training for that.
Y'all want to move it out of DIR? I think that'd be a good idea, as the question really isn't a DIR question so much as a safe diving practices question.
Rick

Y'all want to move it out of DIR? I think that'd be a good idea, as the question really isn't a DIR question so much as a safe diving practices question.
Rick

To me that would make sense too.

I think that point asking this question in the DIR forum was to ask what DIR divers would do. This is definitely a grey area question, and each team/person will need to make decision on what's appropriate.

If you combine what Kev and Rick say, those are my main parameters. In addition, I factor in the size of "swimthrough" and who I am diving with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom