Assessing DCI risk factors and adjusting dive plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I firmly believe that physical work or duress on the surface immediately after the dive are VERY underrated causes of DCS. If not mistaken, some of your heaviest off-gassing occurs at this point.

Spending some time floating around after the dive and not running around like a maniac immediately after getting on the boat are good ideas. Pretty ease to mitigate the risk and adjust your dive plan. Just CTFD.

Many of the divers I see may not be accustomed to climbing a ladder with heavy gear on their back, this seems to be a particularly stressful moment of grunting and thrashing around.

On multiple tank dives I have begun to strip my gear off prior to attempting the ladder. Funny how this practice came into practice. The popularity of people exploring side mount led to weighted down lines with clips. It was just to easy after a particular dive where I felt spent at the end, to just start unloading my stages onto the line. Heavy exertion immedietely post a dive is a big no no.
Eric

Many of the divers I see may not be accustomed to climbing a ladder with heavy gear on their back, this seems to be a particularly stressful moment of grunting and thrashing around.

Climbing the ladder isn't necessarily a problem; getting onto the ladder in the first place may be a different issue altogether. I've been in seas where grabbing hold and getting both feet on was equivalent to a ride on the bull at Gilley's. Get past that, and the rest is easy. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom