Assembling regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do I need to put anything on the threads or o rings when I assemble my new regs?

No. Don't grease the threads on the low pressure (LP) hose. There should be an o-ring on the male end of the LP hose that screws into the first stage. The o-ring should come with the hose. You can choose to lube the o-ring or not. My reg manufacturer recommends putting a very light coating of O2-compatible grease on that particular o-ring (enough to make it shiny), so that's what I do.

There's another o-ring inside the female part of the LP hose (swivel) that connects to the second stage. That o-ring should be lubed (and almost certainly already is). Don't mess with that o-ring unless you're using brass o-ring tools and someone has shown you how to do it. More often than not, I end up damaging that o-ring when I remove it...so I make sure to lube it prior to installation. That particular o-ring gets replaced whenever I overhaul the second stage.

Hope this helps...

It does. If it matters these are apeks regs and miflex hoses.

Is christolube the stuff I want? I'll have to see if any of the dive shops around here sell small tubes of it.

I use Tribolube. Christolube works as well.

Have fun attaching the miflex hoses to the Apeks second stages. You'll need a thin wrench to help tighten the fitting because the width of the Apeks heat exchanger nut is rather thin. You'll see what I mean when you do the installation. You must use two wrenches when attaching the hose to the second stage so that you don't damage the second stage case. Tighten to 40 inch pounds if using a torque wrench.

I was going to take it to the tool store and see if I could fond one. It looks thin but not so thin I shouldn't be able to find a wrench. If that doesn't work I'll just wrap it in a towel to protect it from tool marks and use a pliers.

I don't have a torque wrench. I just figured I'd make them tight like a drysuit hose. If it is needed - where is a good place to get one? Is it 40 in lbs on both fittings?

If you need a really thin wrench for it, go to a good bicycle store, and request a "cone wrench" in the appropriate size. Can't handle a ton of torque, but quite thin.

I was going to take it to the tool store and see if I could fond one. It looks thin but not so thin I shouldn't be able to find a wrench. If that doesn't work I'll just wrap it in a towel to protect it from tool marks and use a pliers.

I don't have a torque wrench. I just figured I'd make them tight like a drysuit hose. If it is needed - where is a good place to get one? Is it 40 in lbs on both fittings?

You probably know this, but just in case (for others reading this): Think "snug", not tight.... The o-ring makes the seal, not excessive torque. Just a "smidge" tighter than you can get the fitting with your bare hands.... and for sure use two wrenches.

Best wishes.

If you need a really thin wrench for it, go to a good bicycle store, and request a "cone wrench" in the appropriate size. Can't handle a ton of torque, but quite thin.
You probably know this, but just in case (for others reading this): Think "snug", not tight.... The o-ring makes the seal, not excessive torque. Just a "smidge" tighter than you can get the fitting with your bare hands.... and for sure use two wrenches.
I agree with what the others are saying.
thin wrench = cone wrench (bike shop) = tappet wrench
You'll probably need a 11/16-inch open-ended thin wrench. You can use an adjustable wrench on the miflex hose nut and the thin wrench on the Apeks heat exchanger nut. Tighten just barely more than hand-tight (just like LeadTurn_SD said).

I bought this set of thin wrenches.

If that doesn't work I'll just wrap it in a towel to protect it from tool marks and use a pliers.

I would not, that is very bad, no. Get the right tool. There are cone wrenches at bike shops, some scuba suppliers carry a set of thin regulator fitting wrenches.

Many such fittings I do them hand tight plus a little.

N

Back
Top Bottom