Asking here because...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that you should not use the snap clip at all. Especially on any type of gear that you value. Connecting the float to your BC is definitely a "no no ". Although I've seen divers do it, one should only do this as a momentary thing and unclip it asap. Some boaters and jet skiers do not have a clue what the flag means. If your doing dives deeper than 30 feet and one of them get hooked on to your float your return to the surface will break all records. This is not a good thing.

Always think safety.

My 2 cents

Joe

CBulla:
Incidentally, the snap clip and d-ring (last two in Grier's post) are referred to as suicide clips. The reason is they have a tendancy to clip to most anything with little or no force and you can find yourself hung up quite quickly. :)

And also, if the line twists inside, the line can unclip itself and release the float...just ask Mark at Fill Express to show you. That's why I only use that clip at the base of my flag.

I tie my flag to a dive rite safety reel, which if a boat snags my flag, the line would snap before it does much of anything else. I also clip my reel to the donut ring on my crotch strap, which lets the line float behind me, between my legs.

I believe, however, that prevention is the key, so what I do, as Colin mentioned, is to unclip when I hear a boat nearby, especially in low vis.

Another option we sometimes use up here in the North East is to swim out with the flag, anchor the line to a rock, weight, etc, and then stay within 100' of it. You get more freedom of mobility that way.

I gave up on the yellow plastic spool-thing, and got one of the less expensive plastic ratchet-reels. I've been very happy with it for my flag-swimming needs.

Oh... one other good idea for avoiding flag hassles... get your buddy to tow it! :wink:

MSilvia:
Oh... one other good idea for avoiding flag hassles... get your buddy to tow it! :wink:

Exactly!

Those are good comments re: attaching the reel to the BC. I've only done that in very shallow water (<20 fsw), but it's good advice, nonetheless.

MSilvia:

SShhhhh! Now they'll all know.

That's why I never have a problem. :D

Marc

I sometimes tie mine to my buddies tank, they never know and swim around with it for the whole dive... when its time to head up, I signal things like "hey, why did you swim through the line?" and untie it then look at my guage and say "well, time to head up!" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom