ASIPONA (FONATUR Marina)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
FONATUR has officially been dismantled, and its properties transferred to other government entities. The Cozumel Fonatur Marina is one of those properties that now belongs to ASIPONA (Administración del Sistema Portuario Nacional). I just saw an updated image of the Caleta/Asipona project, and it looks to me there is almost no parking planned anywhere near the marina, except for trailed-boat parking. It still shows that they intend Caleta to be turned over to El Presidente for private development of the hotel, but that may or may not ever take place, with all the changes in the different government agencies that originally were parties to the agreement with El Presidente.

Attachments

• 01-marina.png
    01-marina.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 02-marina.png
    02-marina.png
    690.2 KB · Views: 110
FONATUR has officially been dismantled, and its properties transferred to other government entities. The Cozumel Fonatur Marina is one of those properties that now belongs to ASIPONA (Administración del Sistema Portuario Nacional). I just saw an updated image of the Caleta/Asipona project, and it looks to me there is almost no parking planned anywhere near the marina, except for trailed-boat parking. It still shows that they intend Caleta to be turned over to El Presidente for private development of the hotel, but that may or may not ever take place, with all the changes in the different government agencies that originally were parties to the agreement with El Presidente.
The parking situation is a complete joke considering the distance people have to haul gear and walk to the boat launch area now which is several blocks. Good luck on the old caletta with the amount of boats in there. There will be a huge fight for them to leave. Where would all those boats go?

The parking situation is a complete joke considering the distance people have to haul gear and walk to the boat launch area now which is several blocks. Good luck on the old caletta with the amount of boats in there. There will be a huge fight for them to leave. Where would all those boats go?
Right? Imagine the protest strategies all those boats could employ - blocking the marina, block the cruise ship piers... They could make the taxi protests look mild by comparison.

The parking situation looks awful. I do hope they can come to some sort of alternative agreement / compromise but this is Mexico.. :)

The parking situation looks awful. I do hope they can come to some sort of alternative agreement / compromise but this is Mexico.. :)
As I understand it, and I have seen similar situations elsewhere, what has happened is that no one was keeping track of and setting goals holisitically for the total project. Parking was in no one in particular's purview so it was never anyone's priority. Oops.

Looks like everything north of the cruise pier will be removed. Hope they keep the airport and a couple restaurants.
Ha. That's pretty funny. Good eye.

How old is that second photo with the semicircular hotel building?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom