Asia Divers / El Galleon question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seekup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! We are a week out from our trip and getting packed :D Do I need to take my mesh bag to move gear from the lockers to the dive boat? I wasn't sure about the logistics of the of their dive operation. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

No. Your stuff will be in a crate and the boat guys will take care of bringing them on boat every single dive. (unless you give them specific instructions)

Good news, one less thing to pack....

Another question. Do people typically tip the entire staff at once, like on a liveaboard, or tip the divemasters separately? Any advice on the tipping customs/amounts?

Thanks for the info!

There's a tip box in the dive shop which is shared among the staff. You can also buy the DM's beer in the Point Bar - that works. For service "over and above", P1,000 directly to the person who went the extra yards or so won't break the bank, and will be more than welcome.

Is it customary to tip after every dive or at the end of the week? Captain and DM? Want to make sure I don't miss anyone... Thanks! Leaving for El Galleon in 3 weeks! :)

I only tip at the end of the trip.
How to tip is NOT easy!!!!!! It can get very complicated.
The dive shop might have a tip box but the "content" might not be shared among everyone!!! The dive guide could be free-lance and rely on the commission rebate by the shop!!
I would certainly NOT tip the guide alone because other peoples are also involved.

Tip is bread and butter for them but your personal attitude is even more important. A big smile would certainly go down very well.

I usually tip at the end of my stay/dive days. Techasia (tech diving division of Asiadivers) has a tip box in the office, and that's where I drop the gratuities after I settle my Helium/Oxygen bill. . .

I know that everyone has a differing opinion, but is there an amount that's customary, like a 15-20% gratuity when eating out, or $5/dive here in CA? I want to make sure to pack enough cash to take care of the DM and staff appropriately but am finding that different areas in the world approach it differently.

Do not feel oblige to tip, you are not in USA.
Tip is not expected in Philippines but greatly appreciated.
On many occasions especially in the province, the waiter/waitress asked me why I left some money behind!!!!!
15-20%!!!!!! Please do not set a bad precedent.
US$5-10 per day is adequate for the guide and the shop together.
Of course, sky the limit.

Good diving.

Back
Top Bottom